Data-Driven Model Evaluation: A Test for Revealed Performance
When comparing two competing approximate models using a particular loss function, the one having smallest `expected true error' for that loss function is expected to lie closest to the underlying data generating process (DGP) given this loss function and is therefore to be preferred. In this chapter we consider a data-driven method for testing whether or not two competing approximate models are equivalent in terms of their expected true error (i.e., their expected performance on unseen data drawn from the same DGP). The proposed test is quite flexible with regards to the types of models that can be compared (i.e., nested versus non-nested, parametric versus nonparametric) and is applicable in cross-sectional and time-series settings. Moreover, in time-series settings our method overcomes two of the drawbacks associated with dominant approaches, namely, their reliance on only one split of the data and the need to have a suciently large `hold-out' sample for these tests to possess adequate power.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel J. Henderson & Christopher F. Parmeter & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2007. "Nonparametric estimation of a hedonic price function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 695-699.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2002.
"A consistent test for nonlinear out of sample predictive accuracy,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 353-381, October.
- Corradi, V. & Swanson, N.R., 2000. "A Consistent Test for Nonlinear Out of Sample Predictive Accuracy," Discussion Papers 0012, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2007.
"A consistent model specification test with mixed discrete and continuous data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 802-826, October.
- Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Jeff Racine, 2006. "A Consistent Model Specification Test with Mixed Discrete and Continuous Data," IEPR Working Papers 06.47, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Leeb, Hannes & Pötscher, Benedikt M., 2005.
"Can One Estimate the Unconditional Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators ?,"
72, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2008. "Can One Estimate The Unconditional Distribution Of Post-Model-Selection Estimators?," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 338-376, April.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Potscher, 2003. "Can One Estimate the Conditional Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1444, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeff & Stengos, Thanasis, 2007.
"Growth and convergence: A profile of distribution dynamics and mobility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 483-508, February.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeff, 2006. "Growth And Convergence: A Profile Of Distribution Dynamics And Mobility," Departmental Working Papers 0605, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1992. "A Test for Functional Form Against Nonparametric Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 452-475, December.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1997.
"Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models,"
ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica
170, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2002. "Bootstrap J tests of nonnested linear regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 167-193, July.
- Davidson, R. & Mackinnon, J. G., 1995. "Bootstrap Tests of Nonnested Linear Regression Models," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 97a25, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Meade, Nigel, 2002. "A comparison of the accuracy of short term foreign exchange forecasting methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 67-83.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2003.
"Selecting a Nonlinear Time Series Model using Weighted Tests of Equal Forecast Accuracy,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2003-10, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Dick Dijk & Philip Hans Franses, 2003. "Selecting a Nonlinear Time Series Model using Weighted Tests of Equal Forecast Accuracy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(s1), pages 727-744, December.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2003.
"Some Recent Developments in Predictive Accuracy Testing With Nested Models and (Generic) Nonlinear Alternatives,"
Departmental Working Papers
200316, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2004. "Some recent developments in predictive accuracy testing with nested models and (generic) nonlinear alternatives," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 185-199.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Koehler, Anne B., 2006.
"Another look at measures of forecast accuracy,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 679-688.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Anne B. Koehler, 2005. "Another Look at Measures of Forecast Accuracy," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 13/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Racine, Jeffrey, 2001. "On the Nonlinear Predictability of Stock Returns Using Financial and Economic Variables," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 380-382, July.
- Harry Haupt & Joachim Schnurbus & Rolf Tschernig, 2010.
"On nonparametric estimation of a hedonic price function,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(5), pages 894-901.
- Haupt, Harry & Schnurbus, Joachim & Tschernig, Rolf, 2008. "On Nonparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 429, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Qi Gao & Long Liu & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2015. "A Partially Linear Kernel Estimator for Categorical Data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6-10), pages 959-978, December.
- Enno Mammen, "undated".
"Comparing nonparametric versus parametric regression fits,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9205, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Hardle, W. & Mammen, E., 1990. "Comparing nonparametric versus parametric regression fits," CORE Discussion Papers 1990065, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Daniel J. Henderson & Chris Papageorgiou & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2012. "Growth Empirics without Parameters," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(559), pages 125-154, 03.
- Ashley, Richard, 2003. "Statistically significant forecasting improvements: how much out-of-sample data is likely necessary?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 229-239.
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "25 years of time series forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 443-473.
- Atsushi Inoue & Lutz Kilian, 2005.
"In-Sample or Out-of-Sample Tests of Predictability: Which One Should We Use?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(4), pages 371-402.
- Inoue, Atsushi & Kilian, Lutz, 2002. "In-Sample or Out-of-Sample Tests of Predictability: Which One Should We Use?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3671, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Inoue, Atsushi & Kilian, Lutz, 2002. "In-sample or out-of-sample tests of predictability: which one should we use?," Working Paper Series 0195, European Central Bank.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Haerdle,Wolfgang & Marron,J., 1987.
"Semiparametric comparision of regression curve,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
93, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-1167, July.
- Mc Cracken, Michael W., 2000. "Robust out-of-sample inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 195-223, December.
- Ashley, Richard, 1998. "A new technique for postsample model selection and validation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 647-665, May.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, December.
- Kenneth D. West & Todd Clark, 2006.
"Approximately Normal Tests for Equal Predictive Accuracy in Nested Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clark, Todd E. & West, Kenneth D., 2007. "Approximately normal tests for equal predictive accuracy in nested models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 291-311, May.
- Todd E. Clark & Kenneth D. West, 2005. "Approximately normal tests for equal predictive accuracy in nested models," Research Working Paper RWP 05-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Hayfield, Tristen & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2008. "Nonparametric Econometrics: The np Package," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 27(i05).
- Liu, Zhenjuan & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Non-linearities in Cross-Country Growth Regressions: A Semiparametric Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 527-538, Sept.-Oct.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:deptwp:2012-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.