Can One Estimate the Unconditional Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators ?
We consider the problem of estimating the unconditional distribution of a post-model-selection estimator. The notion of a post-model-selection estimator here refers to the combined procedure resulting from first selecting a model (e.g., by a model selection criterion like AIC or by a hypothesis testing procedure) and then estimating the parameters in the selected model (e.g., by least-squares or maximum likelihood), all based on the same data set. We show that it is impossible to estimate the unconditional distribution with reasonable accuracy even asymptotically. In particular, we show that no estimator for this distribution can be uniformly consistent (not even locally). This follows as a corollary to (local) minimax lower bounds on the performance of estimators for the distribution. These lower bounds are shown to approach 1/2 or even 1 in large samples, depending on the situation considered. Similar impossibility results are also obtained for the distribution of linear functions (e.g., predictors) of the post-model-selection estimator.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nigel Pain, 2000.
"Inward investment and technical progress in the United Kingdom manufacturing sector,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
175, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Hubert, Florence & Pain, Nigel, 2001. "Inward Investment and Technical Progress in the United Kingdom Manufacturing Sector," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(2), pages 134-147, May.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2005. "Model Selection And Inference: Facts And Fiction," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 21-59, February.
- Kabaila, Paul, 1995. "The Effect of Model Selection on Confidence Regions and Prediction Regions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 537-549, June.
- Francis X. Diebold & Lutz Kilian & Marc Nerlove, 2006.
"Time Series Analysis,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
06-019, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Leeb, Hannes & Pötscher, Benedikt M., 2005.
"Can One Estimate the Unconditional Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators ?,"
72, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2008. "Can One Estimate The Unconditional Distribution Of Post-Model-Selection Estimators?," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 338-376, April.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Potscher, 2003. "Can One Estimate the Conditional Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1444, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:3:p:537-49 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hjort N.L. & Claeskens G., 2003. "Frequentist Model Average Estimators," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 879-899, January.
- Pötscher, B.M., 1991. "Effects of Model Selection on Inference," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 163-185, June.
- Danilov, Dmitry & Magnus, J.R.Jan R., 2004. "On the harm that ignoring pretesting can cause," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 27-46, September.
- Hannes Leeb, 2006. "The distribution of a linear predictor after model selection: Unconditional finite-sample distributions and asymptotic approximations," Papers math/0611186, arXiv.org.
- Brownstone, David, 1990. "Bootstrapping improved estimators for linear regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 171-187.
- Kapetanios, George, 2001. "Incorporating lag order selection uncertainty in parameter inference for AR models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 137-144, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.