How Did the Introduction of Deposit Insurance Affect Chinese Banks? An Investigation of Its Wealth Effect
Existing papers analyzing the link between deposit insurance and bank market values have usually been confined to investigating incremental regulatory shifts in the banking sector. The latest case on the introduction of deposit insurance occurred in China, and therefore it gives us a chance to explore the stock market reaction to the major regulatory policy change in banking. Although the introduction of deposit insurance is usually expected to be favorable news for banks, our results show that the average abnormal returns of all listed banks in China are statistically significantly negative on the announcement day. They indicate that investors believe the introduction of deposit insurance has an adverse effect on the banking industry in China. We also find that among bank characteristics such as asset size, z-score, and ROE, only size has a statistically significant positive impact on the abnormal returns of the Chinese listed banks on the announcement day. These results mean that although compulsory deposit insurance certainly enhances small banks’ credibility, China’s capital markets think that the adverse influence is lower for big banks than for small banks. Our results, which are not fully consistent with those previously found in the United States and Denmark, indicates that the difference in the financial regulatory environment prior to the introduction of deposit insurance leads to differential wealth transfer.
|Date of creation:||May 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN|
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung & Lam, Tau-Hing & Yan, Isabel Kit-Ming, 2012. "Is the Chinese stock market really inefficient?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 122-137.
- Jan Bartholdy & Glenn Boyle & Roger Stover, 2004.
"Deposit insurance and the stock market: evidence from Denmark,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 567-578.
- Boyle, Glenn & Bartholdy, Jan & Stover, Roger, 2004. "Deposit Insurance and the Stock Market: Evidence from Denmark," Working Paper Series 3877, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- James W. Kolari & Seppo Pynnönen, 2010. "Event Study Testing with Cross-sectional Correlation of Abnormal Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(11), pages 3996-4025, November.
- John J. Binder, 1985. "Measuring the Effects of Regulation with Stock Price Data," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 167-183, Summer.
- Jianjun Sun & Su Zhang & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2014. "The Announcement Effects of Regional Tourism Industrial Policy:The Case of the Hainan International Tourism Island Policy in China," Discussion Paper Series DP2014-29, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- O'Hara, Maureen & Shaw, Wayne, 1990. " Deposit Insurance and Wealth Effects: The Value of Being "Too Big to Fail."," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1587-1600, December.
- Pathan, Shams, 2009. "Strong boards, CEO power and bank risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1340-1350, July.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2009. "Bank governance, regulation and risk taking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 259-275, August.
- Eyssell, Thomas & Arshadi, Nasser, 1990. "The wealth effects of the risk-based capital requirement in banking : The evidence from the capital market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 179-197, March.
- Konishi, Masaru & Yasuda, Yukihiro, 2004. "Factors affecting bank risk taking: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 215-232, January.
- Sun, Jianjun & Harimaya, Kozo & Yamori, Nobuyoshi, 2013. "Regional economic development, strategic investors, and efficiency of Chinese city commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1602-1611.
- Lin, Xiaoqiang & Fei, Fangyu & Wang, Yudong, 2011. "Analysis of the efficiency of the Shanghai stock market: A volatility perspective," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3486-3495.
- Kane, Edward J., 1995. "Three paradigms for the role of capitalization requirements in insured financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 431-459, June.
- John H. Boyd & Jian Hu & Ravi Jagannathan, 2005.
"The Stock Market's Reaction to Unemployment News: Why Bad News Is Usually Good for Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 649-672, April.
- John H. Boyd & Ravi Jagannathan & Jian Hu, 2001. "The Stock Market's Reaction to Unemployment News: Why Bad News is Usually Good for Stocks," NBER Working Papers 8092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rita Biswas & Donald R. Fraser & Gregory Hebb, 2000. "On The Shareholder Wealth Effects Of Deposit Insurance Premium Revisions On Large, Publicly Traded Commercial Banks," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 223-241, June.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori, 1999. "Stock Market Reaction to the Bank Liquidation in Japan: A Case for the Informational Effect Hypothesis," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 15(1), pages 57-68, February.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Williams, Barry, 2014. "Bank risk and national governance in Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 10-26.
- Boyd, John H. & Graham, Stanley L. & Hewitt, R. Shawn, 1993. "Bank holding company mergers with nonbank financial firms: Effects on the risk of failure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 43-63, February.
- Biswas, Rita & Fraser, Donald R & Hebb, Gregory, 2000. "On the Shareholder Wealth Effects of Deposit Insurance Premium Revisions on Large, Publicly Traded Commercial Banks," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 223-241, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kob:dpaper:dp2016-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.