The Effect of Extra Funding for Disadvantaged Pupils on Achievement
This paper evaluates the effects of two subsidies targeted at disadvantaged pupils in the Netherlands. The first scheme gives primary schools with at least 70 percent minority pupils extra funding for personnel. The second scheme gives primary schools with at least 70 percent pupils from different disadvantaged groups extra funding for computers and software. The cutoffs at 70 percent provide a regression discontinuity design which we exploit in a local difference-in-differences framework. For both subsidies we find negative point estimates. For the personnel subsidy these are in most cases not significantly different from zero. For the computer subsidy we find more evidence of negative effects. We discuss several explanations for these counterintuitive results.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Publication status:||published in: Review of Economics and Statistics, 2007, 89 (4), 721-736|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan B. Krueger, 2003.
"Economic Considerations and Class Size,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F34-F63, February.
- Cecilia E. Rouse & Alan B. Krueger, 2004.
"Putting Computerized Instruction to the Test: A Randomized Evaluation of a "Scientifically-based" Reading Program,"
NBER Working Papers
10315, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rouse, Cecilia Elena & Krueger, Alan B., 2004. "Putting computerized instruction to the test: a randomized evaluation of a "scientifically based" reading program," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 323-338, August.
- Cecilia E. Rouse & Alan B. Krueger & Lisa Markman, 2003. "Putting Computerized Instruction to the Test: A Randomized Evaluation of a "Scientifically-based" Reading Program," Working Papers 5, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Education Research Section..
- Papke, Leslie E., 2005. "The effects of spending on test pass rates: evidence from Michigan," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 821-839, June.
- Joshua Angrist & Victor Lavy, 2002.
"New Evidence on Classroom Computers and Pupil Learning,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(482), pages 735-765, October.
- Angrist, Joshua & Lavy, Victor, 2001. "New Evidence on Classroom Computers and Pupil Learning," IZA Discussion Papers 362, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joshua Angrist & Victor Lavy, 1999. "New Evidence on Classroom Computers and Pupil Learning," NBER Working Papers 7424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwin Leuven & Hessel Oosterbeek, 2004.
"Evaluating the Effect of Tax Deductions on Training,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 461-488, April.
- Edwin Leuven & Hessel Oosterbeek, 2002. "Evaluating the effect of tax deductions on training," Labor and Demography 0205001, EconWPA.
- Austan Goolsbee & Jonathan Guryan, 2002.
"The Impact of Internet Subsidies in Public Schools,"
NBER Working Papers
9090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Austan Goolsbee & Jonathan Guryan, 2006. "The Impact of Internet Subsidies in Public Schools," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 336-347, May.
- Jonathan Guryan, 2001. "Does Money Matter? Regression-Discontinuity Estimates from Education Finance Reform in Massachusetts," NBER Working Papers 8269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric A., 2006. "School Resources," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 2008. "Breaking the link between poverty and low student achievement: An evaluation of Title I," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 731-756, February.
- Card, David & Payne, A. Abigail, 2002. "School finance reform, the distribution of school spending, and the distribution of student test scores," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 49-82, January.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.