Land Allocation in the Presence of Estimation Risk
Estimation risk occurs when parameters relevant for decision making are uncertain. Bayes'Â’ criterion is consistent with expected-utility maximization in the presence of estimation risk. This article examines optimal (BayesÂ’') land allocations and land allocations obtained using the traditional plug-in approach and two alternative decision rules. BayesÂ’' allocations are much better economically than the other allocations when there are few sample observations relative to activities. Calculation of certainty equivalent returns (CERs) with estimation risk is also discussed and illustrated. CERs are typically (and incorrectly) calculated with the plug-in approach. Plug-in CERs may be extremely misleading.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 1995|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, July 1995, vol. 20 no. 1, pp. 49-62|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coles, Jeffrey L. & Loewenstein, Uri, 1988. "Equilibrium pricing and portfolio composition in the presence of uncertain parameters," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 279-303, December.
- Robert N. Collender, 1989. "Estimation Risk in Farm Planning Under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(4), pages 996-1002.
- Lence, Sergio H & Hayes, Dermot J, 1994.
" Parameter-Based Decision Making under Estimation Risk: An Application to Futures Trading,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 345-357, March.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayes, Dermot J., 1994. "Parameter-Based Decision Making Under Estimation Risk: An Application to Futures Trading," Staff General Research Papers Archive 693, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Geweke, John, 1988. "Antithetic acceleration of Monte Carlo integration in Bayesian inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 73-89.
- Kallberg, J. G. & Ziemba, W. T., 1979. "On the robustness of the Arrow-Pratt risk aversion measure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 21-26.
- Chen, Son-Nan & Brown, Stephen J, 1983. " Estimation Risk and Simple Rules for Optimal Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1087-1093, September.
- Klein, Roger W, et al, 1978. "Decisions with Estimation Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1363-1387, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)