Moving from Uniform to Variable Fertilizer Rates on Iowa Corn: Effects on Rates and Returns
This study develops a model based on the yield potential of various soil types in 12 Iowa counties to estimate the potential value of switching from uniform to variable fertilizer rates. Results indicate modest increases in the gross returns over fertilizer costs, ranging from $7.43 to $1.52 per acre. The net profitability of variable-rate technology (VRT) is sensitive to the per acre costs of moving to a VRT program. Under the assumptions of the model, applying variable rates would increase yield by 0.05 to 0.50 bushels per acre, and would reduce fertilizer costs by $1.19 to $8.83 per acre.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 1998, vol. 23 no. 2, pp. 385-400|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hennessy, David A. & Babcock, Bruce A., 1998. "Information, Flexibility, and Value Added," Staff General Research Papers 1362, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayes, Dermot J., 1995.
"Land Allocation in the Presence of Estimation Risk,"
Staff General Research Papers
995, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayes, Dermot J., 1995. "Land Allocation In The Presence Of Estimation Risk," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Babcock, Bruce A., 1992. "Effects of Uncertainty on Optimal Nitrogen Applications (The)," Staff General Research Papers 10588, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Blackmer, A. M., 1994. "Ex Post Relationship Between Growing Conditions and Nitrogen Fertilizer Levels (The)," Staff General Research Papers 10582, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Carriquiry, Alicia L. & Stern, Hal S., 1996. "Evaluation of Soil Test Information in Agricultural Decision-Making," Staff General Research Papers 1139, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:1121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.