Land Allocation In The Presence Of Estimation Risk
Estimation risk occurs when parameters relevant for decision making are uncertain. Bayes'Â’ criterion is consistent with expected-utility maximization in the presence of estimation risk. This article examines optimal (BayesÂ’') land allocations and land allocations obtained using the traditional plug-in approach and two alternative decision rules. BayesÂ’' allocations are much better economically than the other allocations when there are few sample observations relative to activities. Calculation of certainty equivalent returns (CERs) with estimation risk is also discussed and illustrated. CERs are typically (and incorrectly) calculated with the plug-in approach. Plug-in CERs may be extremely misleading.
Volume (Year): 20 (1995)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klein, Roger W, et al, 1978. "Decisions with Estimation Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1363-87, November.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayes, Dermot J., 1994.
"Parameter-Based Decision Making Under Estimation Risk: An Application to Futures Trading,"
Staff General Research Papers
693, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lence, Sergio H & Hayes, Dermot J, 1994. " Parameter-Based Decision Making under Estimation Risk: An Application to Futures Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 345-57, March.
- Chen, Son-Nan & Brown, Stephen J, 1983. " Estimation Risk and Simple Rules for Optimal Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1087-93, September.
- Geweke, John, 1988. "Antithetic acceleration of Monte Carlo integration in Bayesian inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 73-89.
- Coles, Jeffrey L. & Loewenstein, Uri, 1988. "Equilibrium pricing and portfolio composition in the presence of uncertain parameters," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 279-303, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:30929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.