Efficiency Analysis of Agricultural Market Advisory Services: A Nonlinear Mixed-Integer Programming Approach
Professional market advisory services provide specific advice (advisory programs) to grain producers on how to market their commodities, and assist them in their efforts to manage price risk. Previous studies analyzed the effectiveness of individual services and could find only weak evidence that these services help farmers improve their returns beyond market prices. The present study applies portfolio theory to determine an efficient combination of advisory programs using a nonlinear integer programming framework. The optimization results provide some evidence that an efficient portfolio provides significantly greater risk and return benefits compared to individual programs and external benchmarks. In a holdout period analysis, efficient portfolios have superior average return performance, but they fail to dominate the relevant benchmarks in terms of mean and variance. However, these out-of-sample results should be considered cautiously, given the small number of observations available.
Volume (Year): 6 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Cabrini, Silvina M. & Stark, Brian G. & Shi, Wei & Webber, Rick L. & Hagedorn, Lewis A. & Williams, Steven L., 2003. "Advisory Service Marketing Profiles For Soybeans Over 1995-2000," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14791, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1985. "International Portfolio Diversification with Estimation Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 259-278, July.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes & Good, Darrel L., 2003. "The Pricing Performance Of Market Advisory Services In Corn And Soybeans Over 1995-2001: A Non-Technical Summary," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14770, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Good, Darrel L. & Irwin, Scott H. & Gomez, Jennifer K., 2001. "The Role Of Market Advisory Services In Crop Marketing And Risk Management: A Preliminary Report Of Survey Results," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14772, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Frankfurter, George M. & Phillips, Herbert E. & Seagle, John P., 1976. "Performance of the Sharpe Portfolio Selection Model: A Comparison," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 195-204, June.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes & Good, Darrel L., 2003.
"The Pricing Performance of Market Advisory Services in Corn and Soybeans Over 1995-2001,"
AgMAS Project Research Reports
37510, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes & Good, Darrel L., 2003. "The Pricing Performance Of Market Advisory Services In Corn And Soybeans Over 1995-2001," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14773, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- William F. Sharpe, 1963. "A Simplified Model for Portfolio Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 277-293, January.
- George F. Patrick & Stanton Ullerich, 1996. "Information sources and risk attitudes of large-scale farmers, farm managers, and agricultural bankers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 461-471.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormsom:v:6:y:2004:i:3:p:237-252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.