Positive Effects of Ageing and Age-Diversity in Innovative Companies Ð Large Scale Evidence on Company Productivity
This paper investigates how age diversity within a companyÕs workforce affects company productivity. It introduces a theoretical framework that helps to integrate results from a broad disciplinary spectrum of ageing and diversity research to derive empirically testable hypotheses on the effects of age diversity on company productivity. It argues that first the balance between costs and benefits of diversity determines the effect of age diversity on company productivity and that second the type of task performed acts as a moderator. To test these hypotheses, it uses a large-scale employer-employee panel data set (the LIAB.) Results show that increasing age diversity has a positive effect on company productivity if and only if a company engages in creative rather than routine tasks.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Plattenstrasse 14, CH-8032 Zürich|
Phone: ++41 1 634 29 27
Fax: ++41 1 634 43 48
Web page: http://www.isu.uzh.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward P. Lazear, 1998.
"Globalization and the Market for Teammates,"
NBER Working Papers
6579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone Tuor, 2007.
"Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling - On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations,"
0067, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone N. Tuor, 2010. "Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling: On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(2), pages 271-286, January.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone Tuor, 2007. "Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling - On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0010, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Alda, Holger & Bender, Stefan & Gartner, Hermann, 2005. "The linked employer-employee dataset of the IAB (LIAB)," IAB Discussion Paper 200506, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Ennen, Edgar & Richter, Ansgar, 2009. "The Whole Is More Than the Sum of Its Parts - Or Is It? A Review of the Empirical Literature on Complementarities in Organizations," MPRA Paper 15666, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haltiwanger, John C. & Lane, Julia I. & Spletzer, James R., 2007.
"Wages, productivity, and the dynamic interaction of businesses and workers,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 575-602, June.
- John Haltiwanger & Julia Lane & James Spletzer, 2000. "Wages, Productivity, and the Dynamic Interaction of Businesses and Workers," NBER Working Papers 7994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott E. Page, 2007. "Prologue to The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies," Introductory Chapters, in: The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies Princeton University Press.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Martin R. Schneider & Stephan Veen, 2011. "Effect of Workforce Age on Quantitative and Qualitative Organizational Performance: Conceptual Framework and Case Study Evidence," Working Papers 0143, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Francesco Daveri & Mika Maliranta, 2007. "Age, seniority and labour costs: lessons from the Finnish IT revolution," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 117-175, 01.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1713 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iso:educat:0093. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Eggenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.