Positive Effects of Ageing and Age-Diversity in Innovative Companies Ð Large Scale Evidence on Company Productivity
This paper investigates how age diversity within a companyÕs workforce affects company productivity. It introduces a theoretical framework that helps to integrate results from a broad disciplinary spectrum of ageing and diversity research to derive empirically testable hypotheses on the effects of age diversity on company productivity. It argues that first the balance between costs and benefits of diversity determines the effect of age diversity on company productivity and that second the type of task performed acts as a moderator. To test these hypotheses, it uses a large-scale employer-employee panel data set (the LIAB.) Results show that increasing age diversity has a positive effect on company productivity if and only if a company engages in creative rather than routine tasks.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Plattenstrasse 14, CH-8032 Zürich|
Phone: ++41 1 634 29 27
Fax: ++41 1 634 43 48
Web page: http://www.business.uzh.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alda, Holger & Bender, Stefan & Gartner, Hermann, 2005. "The linked employer-employee dataset of the IAB (LIAB)," IAB Discussion Paper 200506, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- John Haltiwanger & Julia Lane & James Spletzer, 2000.
"Wages, Productivity, and the Dynamic Interaction of Businesses and Workers,"
NBER Working Papers
7994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haltiwanger, John C. & Lane, Julia I. & Spletzer, James R., 2007. "Wages, productivity, and the dynamic interaction of businesses and workers," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 575-602, June.
- Scott E. Page, 2007. "Prologue to The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies," Introductory Chapters, in: The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies Princeton University Press.
- Ennen, Edgar & Richter, Ansgar, 2009. "The Whole Is More Than the Sum of Its Parts - Or Is It? A Review of the Empirical Literature on Complementarities in Organizations," MPRA Paper 15666, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Martin R. Schneider & Stephan Veen, 2011. "Effect of Workforce Age on Quantitative and Qualitative Organizational Performance: Conceptual Framework and Case Study Evidence," Working Papers 0143, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Francesco Daveri & Mika Maliranta, 2007. "Age, seniority and labour costs: lessons from the Finnish IT revolution," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 117-175, 01.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone N. Tuor, 2010.
"Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling: On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(2), pages 271-286, January.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone Tuor, 2007. "Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling - On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations," Working Papers 0067, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Simone Tuor, 2007. "Avoiding Labor Shortages by Employer Signaling - On the Importance of Good Work Climate and Labor Relations," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0010, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1713 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lazear, Edward P, 1999.
"Globalisation and the Market for Team-Mates,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages 15-40, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iso:educat:0093. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Brunner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.