Entrepreneurial aging and employment growth in the context of extreme growth events
This paper investigates empirical evidence on the linkage between entrepreneurial aging of the workforce and firm growth. More precisely, it aims to analyse the impact of aging on employment growth in the context of extreme growth events. Basically, the study is conducted to capture the overall impact of the average age structure and aging effect on employment growth. For the empirical estimation we apply a linked employer-employee dataset providing 2.100 German firms covering the time period from 2001 to 2006. Using quantile regression techniques, the specific quantiles θ of extremely growing (θ 0.90), medium growing (θ 0.50) or shrinking firms (θ 0.10) can be explicitly analysed. The results show, on average, that employment growth seems to decline as the workforce is getting older. Put differently, extreme growth events seem to be less likely when the average aging of the workforce rapidly accelerates. Firm-specific characteristics such as size, industry affiliation and location matter hereby.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wiwi.kit.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2006.
"Innovation and Firm Growth in High-Tech Sectors: A Quantile Regression Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2006/18, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Coad, Alex & Rao, Rekha, 2008. "Innovation and firm growth in high-tech sectors: A quantile regression approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 633-648, May.
- Alex Coad & Rekha Rao, 2007. "Innovation and Firm Growth in High-Tech Sectors: A Quantile Regression Approach," Open Discussion Papers in Economics 57, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Martín Gonzalez-Eiras & Dirk Niepelt, 2011.
"Ageing, Government Budgets, Retirement, and Growth,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3352, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gonzalez-Eiras, Martín & Niepelt, Dirk, 2012. "Ageing, government budgets, retirement, and growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 97-115.
- Dirk Niepelt & Martin Gonzalez-Eiras, 2010. "Ageing, Government Budgets, Retirement, and Growth," 2010 Meeting Papers 69, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dirk Niepelt & Martín Gonzalez-Eiras, 2011. "Ageing, Government Budgets, Retirement, and Growth," Working Papers 11.06, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Gonzalez-Eiras, Martin & Niepelt, Dirk, 2012. "Ageing, government budgets, retirement, and growth," MPRA Paper 44218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jenny Meyer, 2011. "Workforce age and technology adoption in small and medium-sized service firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 305-324, October.
- Jin-Tan Liu & Meng-Wen Tsou & Ping Wang, 2010. "Workforce Composition And Firm Productivity: Evidence From Taiwan," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 1032-1047, October.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
- Grund, Christian & Westergård-Nielsen, Niels C., 2005.
"Age Structure of the Workforce and Firm Performance,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1816, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Grund & Niels Westergaard-Nielsen, 2008. "Age structure of the workforce and firm performance," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(5), pages 410-422, September.
- Grund, Christian & Westergård-Nielsen, Niels, 2005. "Age Structure of the Workforce and Firm Performance," Working Papers 05-10, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Coase, R H, 1988. "The Nature of the Firm: Meaning," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 19-32, Spring.
- Alex Coad & Werner Hölzl, 2009. "On the Autocorrelation of Growth Rates," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 139-166, June.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Maliranta, Mika, 2007. "Aging, Labor Turnover and Firm Performance," Discussion Papers 1092, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- G. Bottazzi & E. Cefis & G. Dosi & A. Secchi, 2007. "Invariances and Diversities in the Patterns of Industrial Evolution: Some Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Industries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 137-159, June.
- Borghans,Lex & Weel,Bas,ter, 2002. "Do Older Workers Have More Trouble Using a Computer Than Younger Workers?," ROA Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Leora Friedberg, 2001.
"The Impact of Technological Change on Older Workers: Evidence from Data on Computer Use,"
NBER Working Papers
8297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leora Friedberg, 2003. "The Impact of Technological Change on Older Workers: Evidence from Data on Computer Use," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(3), pages 511-529, April.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Mauro Napoletano & Andrea Roventini, 2006. "How Do Output Growth Rate Distributions Look Like? Some Time-Series Evidence on OECD Countries," Papers physics/0607180, arXiv.org.
- Alexander Ludwig, 2005. "Aging and Economic Growth: The Role of Factor Markets and of Fundamental Pension Reforms," MEA discussion paper series 05094, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- repec:zbw:iwhdps:2-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Seija Ilmakunnas, 2011. "Diversity at the Workplace: Whom Does it Benefit?," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 223-255, June.
- Petri Rouvinen, 2002. "Characteristics of product and process innovators: some evidence from the Finnish innovation survey," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(9), pages 575-580.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131, December.
- Coase, R H, 1988. "The Nature of the Firm: Influence," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 33-47, Spring.
- Fernando Muñoz-Bullón & Miguel A. Malo, 2003. "Employment status mobility from a life-cycle perspective," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 9(7), pages 119-162, October.
- David B. Audretsch & Dirk Dohse, 2007. "Location: A Neglected Determinant of Firm Growth," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(1), pages 79-107, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:kitwps:39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.