International Competitive Strategy Choices: Comparing Firms in China and India
The international business literature has yet to adequately explore international competitive strategy choices made by firms in developing countries. This study aims to address this gap by investigating the types of international competitive strategies followed by Chinese and Indian firms. Using firm-level primary data, the study analyzes factors that affect strategy choices and whether these factors differ between the two countries. The empirical results indicate that besides cost leadership strategies, firms have already developed international differentiation strategies and strategies combining cost and differentiation advantages (hybrid strategies). This confirms that firms from China and India are moving to international markets not only because of their low cost advantage but also because they are upgrading their capabilities to compete in the global market. The study highlights the fact that firms’ resources and capabilities influence firms’ propensity to choose a specific international competitive strategy and that the strategies can also differ in relation to the destination market. In general, the pursuit of well-articulated international competitive strategies (in particular differentiation strategy) is more common among Indian firms than among Chinese firms.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 91 79 2630 7241|
Fax: 91 79 2630 6896
Web page: http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/publications
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaakko Simonen & Philip McCann, 2007.
"Firm Innovation: The Influence Of R&D Cooperation And The Geography Of Human Capital Inputs,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
29-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Simonen, Jaakko & McCann, Philip, 2008. "Firm innovation: The influence of R&D cooperation and the geography of human capital inputs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 146-154, July.
- Lin, Bou-Wen & Lee, Yikuan & Hung, Shih-Chang, 2006. "R&D intensity and commercialization orientation effects on financial performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 679-685, June.
- Allred, Brent B. & Swan, K. Scott, 2004. "Contextual influences on international subsidiaries' product technology strategy," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 259-286.
- Kendall Roth & David M Schweiger & Allen J Morrison, 1991. "Global Strategy Implementation at the Business Unit Level: Operational Capabilities and Administrative Mechanisms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 369-402, September.
- John H Dunning, 1980. "Towards an Eclectic Theory of International Production: Some Empirical Tests," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(1), pages 9-31, March.
- Martin Srholec, 2008.
"A multilevel analysis of innovation in developing countries,"
Working Papers on Innovation Studies
20080812, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Martin Srholec, 2011. "A multilevel analysis of innovation in developing countries ," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(6), pages 1539-1569, December.
- Srholec, Martin, 2008. "A Multilevel Analysis of Innovation in Developing Countries," MERIT Working Papers 040, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Martin Srholec, 2011. "A Multilevel Analysis of Innovation in Developing Countries," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp432, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2008.
"Globalisation of knowledge production and regional innovation policy: Supporting specialized hubs in the Bangalore software industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1684-1696, December.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2008. "Globalisation of Knowledge Production and Regional Innovation Policy: Supporting Specialized Hubs in the Bangalore Software Industry," Papers in Innovation Studies 2008/20, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Jorge Niosi & F. Ted Tschang, 2009. "The strategies of Chinese and Indian software multinationals: implications for internationalization theory," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 269-294, April.
- Plechero, Monica & Chaminade, Cristina, 2010. "Different competences, different modes in the globalization of innovation?. A comparative study of the Pune and Beijing regions," Papers in Innovation Studies 2010/3, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Luo, Yadong & Zhao, Hongxin, 2004. "Corporate link and competitive strategy in multinational enterprises: a perspective from subsidiaries seeking host market penetration," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 77-105.
- Bruton, Garry D. & Lohrke, Franz T. & Lu, Jane W., 2004. "The evolving definition of what comprises international strategic management research," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 413-429.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Plechero, Monica & Chaminade, Cristina, 2010. "From new to the firm to new to the world. Effect of geographical proximity and technological capabilities on the degree of novelty in emerging economies," Papers in Innovation Studies 2010/12, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Acquaah, Moses & Yasai-Ardekani, Masoud, 2008. "Does the implementation of a combination competitive strategy yield incremental performance benefits? A new perspective from a transition economy in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 346-354, April.
- Saarenketo, Sami & Puumalainen, Kaisu & Kuivalainen, Olli & Kylaheiko, Kalevi, 2004. "Dynamic knowledge-related learning processes in internationalizing high-tech SMEs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 363-378, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iim:iimawp:11429. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.