Paid Annual Leave and Working Hours
Using data from wave 5 of the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey, this study examines: (i) the extent to which Australian employees use their annual leave entitlements; and (ii) the association between annual leave taking and weekly hours of work. After restricting attention to employees likely to have entitlement to at least four weeks of paid annual leave, it is found that the mean number of days of leave taken per year is around 16 and that the majority (63%) take less than 20. The incidence of annual leave taking is found to vary positively correlated with the number of usual weekly hours of work, but the size of this effect is small and weak. It is concluded that persons who regularly report long hours of work each week are mostly not compensating by taking extended periods of leave each year, but neither is there evidence to support the hypothesis that the pressures at work that might lead many people to regularly work very long hours each week also cause them to forego their annual leave entitlements.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Wooden & Nicole Watson, 2007. "The HILDA Survey and its Contribution to Economic and Social Research (So Far)," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(261), pages 208-231, 06.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Emiko Usui, 2005.
"Work Hours, Wages, and Vacation Leave,"
NBER Working Papers
11693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Emiko Usui, 2007. "Work Hours, Wages, and Vacation Leave," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(3), pages 408-428, April.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Emiko Usui, 2007. "Work Hours, Wages, and Vacation Leave," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(3), pages 408-437, April.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2007n20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Abbey Treloar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.