The Role of Land Certification in Reducing Gender Gaps in Productivity in Rural Ethiopia
This paper analyses the impact of a low cost and restricted rights land certification program on the productivity of female-headed households. The analysis is based on plot level panel data from the East Gojjam and South Wollo Zones in the Amhara region of Ethiopia. The results suggest a positive and significant effect of certification on plot-level productivity, particularly on plots rented out to other operators. In addition, the results show that certification has different impacts on male and female productivity with female-headed households gaining significantly more and with zonal differences in the effectiveness of certification impacts.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+47) 6496 5700
Fax: (+47) 6494 3012
Web page: http://www.umb.no/clts
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamberlin, Jordan & Schmidt, Emily, 2011.
"Ethiopian agriculture: A dynamic geographic perspective,"
ESSP working papers
17, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chamberlin, Jordan & Schmidt, Emily, 2012. "Ethiopian Agriculture: A dynamic geographic perspective," IFPRI book chapters, in: Food and agriculture in Ethiopia: Progress and policy challenges, chapter 2 International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Yamano, Takashi, 2006.
"Legal knowledge and economic development: The case of land rights in Uganda,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21197, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Klaus Deininger & Daniel Ayalew Ali & Takashi Yamano, 2008. "Legal Knowledge and Economic Development: The Case of Land Rights in Uganda," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(4), pages 593-619.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Ayalew, Daniel & Yamano, Takashi, 2006. "Legal Knowledge and Economic Development: The Case of Land Rights in Uganda," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25431, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ayalew, Daniel & Yamano, Takashi, 2006. "Legal knowledge and economic development : the case of land rights in Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3868, The World Bank.
- Holden, Stein T. & Deininger, Klaus W. & Ghebru, Hosaena H., 2009. "Gender, Low-cost Land Certification, and Land Rental Market Participation," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51575, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R., 1996. "Male-female differences in agricultural productivity: Methodological issues and empirical evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1579-1595, October.
- de la Rupelle, Maëlys & Quheng, Deng & Li, Shi & Vendryes, Thomas, 2009.
"Land Rights Insecurity and Temporary Migration in Rural China,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4668, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Maëlys De La Rupelle & Deng Quheng & Li Shi & Thomas Vendryes, 2009. "Land rights insecurity and temporary migration in rural China," PSE Working Papers halshs-00575041, HAL.
- Teklu, Tesfaye & Lemi, Adugna, 2004. "Factors affecting entry and intensity in informal rental land markets in Southern Ethiopian highlands," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 117-128, March.
- Anonymous & Pender, John & Ehui, Simeon, 2000. "Policies for sustainable land management in the highlands of Ethiopia," Research Reports 182896, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Stein T. Holden & Klaus Deininger & Hosaena Ghebru, 2007. "Impacts of Low-Cost Land Certification on Investment and Productivity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(2), pages 359-373.
- Bereket Kebede, 2002. "Land Tenure and Common Pool Resources in Rural Ethiopia: A Study Based on Fifteen Sites," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 14(1), pages 113-149.
- Michael Kevane & Leslie Gray, 1999. "A Woman's Field Is Made At Night: Gendered Land Rights And Norms In Burkina Faso," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 1-26.
- Crewett, Wibke & Bogale, Ayalneh & Korf, Benedikt, 2008. "Land tenure in Ethiopia: Continuity and change, shifting rulers, and the quest for state control," CAPRi working papers 91, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Menale Kassie & Precious Zikhali & John Pender & Gunnar Köhlin, 2010. "The Economics of Sustainable Land Management Practices in the Ethiopian Highlands," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 605-627.
- Bliss, C. J. & Stern, N. H., 1982. "Palanpur: The Economy of an Indian Village," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284192, March.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1995. "Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-132, July.
- Seiichi Fukui, 1997. "The Meaning of Kinship in Sharecropping Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 394-406.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nlsclt:2012_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Mørk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.