Land Rights Insecurity and Temporary Migration in Rural China
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Maëlys De La Rupelle & Deng Quheng & Li Shi & Thomas Vendryes, 2009. "Land rights insecurity and temporary migration in rural China," PSE Working Papers halshs-00575041, HAL.
References listed on IDEAS
- Liu, Shouying & Carter, Michael R. & Yao, Yang, 1998.
"Dimensions and diversity of property rights in rural China: Dilemmas on the road to further reform,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1789-1806, October.
- Shouying Liu & MICHAEL R. CARTER & Yang Yao, 1996. "Dimensions and Diversity of Property Rights in Rural China: Delimmas on the Road to Further Reform," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 395, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Krusekopf, Charles C., 2002. "Diversity in land-tenure arrangements under the household responsibility system in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 297-312.
- Rozelle, Scott & Li, Guo, 1998. "Village Leaders and Land-Rights Formation in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 433-438, May.
- Stark, Oded & Bloom, David E, 1985. "The New Economics of Labor Migration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 173-178, May.
- Honore, Bo E, 1992. "Trimmed LAD and Least Squares Estimation of Truncated and Censored Regression Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 533-565, May.
- Knight, J & Song, L, 1997. "Chinese Peasant Choices : Farming, Rural Industry or Migration," Economics Series Working Papers 99188, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kung, James Kai-sing, 2002. "Choice of Land Tenure in China: The Case of a Country with Quasi-Private Property Rights," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(4), pages 793-817, July.
- Galor, Oded & Stark, Oded, 1990.
"Migrants' Savings, the Probability of Return Migration and Migrants' Performance,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 463-467, May.
- Oded Galor & Oded Stark, 1989. "Migrants' Savings, the Probability of Return Migration and Migrants' Performance," Working Papers 1989-19, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Erica Field, 2007. "Entitled to Work: Urban Property Rights and Labor Supply in Peru," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(4), pages 1561-1602.
- Markus Goldstein & Christopher Udry, 2008.
"The Profits of Power: Land Rights and Agricultural Investment in Ghana,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(6), pages 981-1022, December.
- Markus Goldstein & Christopher Udry, 2005. "The Profits of Power: Land Rights and Agricultural Investment in Ghana," Working Papers 929, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Bhattacharya, Gautam, 1990. "Migration under uncertainty about quality of locations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 721-739, October.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Guo Li & Scott Rozelle, 2002.
"Hazards of Expropriation: Tenure Insecurity and Investment in Rural China,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1420-1447, December.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Li, Guo & Rozelle, Scott, 2002. "Hazards Of Expropriation:Tenure Insecurity And Investment In Rural China," Working Papers 11960, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Yaohui Zhao, 1999. "Leaving the Countryside: Rural-to-Urban Migration Decisions in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 281-286, May.
- Kung James, Kaising, 1995. "Equal Entitlement versus Tenure Security under a Regime of Collective Property Rights: Peasants' Preference for Institutions in Post-reform Chinese Agriculture," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Lohmar, Bryan, 1999. "Land Tenure Insecurity And Labor Allocation In Rural China," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21495, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-142, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bezabih, Mintewab & Holden, Stein, 2010.
"The Role of Land Certification in Reducing Gender Gaps in Productivity in Rural Ethiopia,"
dp-10-23-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Bezabih, Mintewab & Holden, Stein & Mannberg, Andrea, 2012. "The Role of Land Certification in Reducing Gender Gaps in Productivity in Rural Ethiopia," CLTS Working Papers 1/12, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Centre for Land Tenure Studies.
- Alan de Brauw & Valerie Mueller, 2012.
"Do Limitations in Land Rights Transferability Influence Mobility Rates in Ethiopia?,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 21(4), pages 548-579, August.
- de Brauw, Alan & Mueller, Valerie, 2011. "Do limitations in land rights transferability influence mobility rates in Ethiopia?:," ESSP working papers 18, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- C. Duvivier & S. Li & M.-F. Renard, 2013.
"Are workers close to cities paid higher nonagricultural wages in rural China?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(30), pages 4308-4322, October.
- Chloé Duvivier & Mary-Françoise Renard & Shi Li, 2012. "Are workers close to cities paid higher non-agricultural wages in rural China?," Working Papers halshs-00673698, HAL.
- Chloé DUVIVIER & Mary-Françoise RENARD & Shi LI, 2012. "Are workers close to cities paid higher non-agricultural wages in rural China?," Working Papers 201205, CERDI.
- Chloé Duvivier & Shi Li & Mary-Françoise Renard, 2013. "Are workers close to cities paid higher nonagricultural wages in rural China?," Post-Print halshs-00819122, HAL.
- Valsecchi, Michele, 2014. "Land property rights and international migration: Evidence from Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 276-290.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2013.
"Migration, Remittances, and Rural Employment Patterns: Evidence from China,"
Research in Labor Economics,in: Labor Market Issues in China, volume 37, pages 31-63
Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- Sylvie Démurger & Li Shi, 2012. "Migration, Remittances and Rural Employment Patterns : Evidence from China," Working Papers 1230, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique Lyon St-Étienne (GATE Lyon St-Étienne), Université de Lyon.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2012. "Migration, remittances and rural employment patterns: Evidence from China," Post-Print halshs-00957595, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2012. "Migration, Remittances and Rural Employment Patterns: Evidence from China," Post-Print halshs-00744438, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger, 2012. "Migration, remittances and rural employment patterns: Evidence from China," Post-Print halshs-00696963, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2013. "Migration, remittances and rural employment patterns : Evidence from China," Post-Print halshs-00799514, HAL.
- Chernina, Eugenia & Castañeda Dower, Paul & Markevich, Andrei, 2014. "Property rights, land liquidity, and internal migration," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 191-215.
- ZHU, WENJUE & Luo, Biliang & Paudel, Krishna P., 2018. "The Influence of Land Titling Policy on the Rural Labor Migration to City: Evidence from China," 2018 Annual Meeting, August 5-7, Washington, D.C. 274163, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00744438 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jia, Lili, 2012. "Land fragmentation and off-farm labor supply in China," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Transition Economies, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), volume 66, number 66.
- repec:wsi:serxxx:v:62:y:2017:i:02:n:s0217590815500885 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mu, Ren & van de Walle, Dominique, 2011.
"Left behind to farm? Women's labor re-allocation in rural China,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages 83-97.
- Mu, Ren & van de Walle, Dominique, 2009. "Left behind to farm ? women's labor re-allocation in rural China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5107, The World Bank.
- Fangbin Qiao & Scott Rozelle & Linxiu Zhang & Yi Yao & Jian Zhang, 2015. "Impact of Childcare and Eldercare on Off-farm Activities in Rural China," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 23(2), pages 100-120, March.
- Hongqin Chang & Jing Liu & Yanyun Gao, 2017. "Land tenure policy and women’s off-farm employment in rural China," Working Papers PMMA 2017-03, PEP-PMMA.
- Zhang, Junfu & Zhao, Zhong, 2013. "Measuring the Income-Distance Tradeoff for Rural-Urban Migrants in China," IZA Discussion Papers 7160, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Can Rao & Jingwen Yu & Hongfei Zhu, 2015. "Land Ownership as an Urban Employment Disincentive for Rural Migrants in China," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 53(2), pages 135-149, June.
- Leight, Jessica, 2016.
"Reallocating wealth? Insecure property rights and agricultural investment in rural China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 207-227.
- Jessica Leight, 2013. "Reallocating wealth? Insecure property rights and agricultural investment in rural China," Department of Economics Working Papers 2013-08, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Ma, Shuang & Mu, Ren, 2017. "Forced off Farm? Labor Allocation Response to Land Requisition in Rural China," IZA Discussion Papers 10640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:spr:izamig:v:8:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1186_s40176-017-0117-z is not listed on IDEAS
- Xianlei Ma & Nico Heerink & Ekko Ierland & Xiaoping Shi, 2016. "Land tenure insecurity and rural-urban migration in rural China," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 383-406, June.
- François Libois & Vincent Somville, 2014. "Ungrateful children: migration intensity and remittances in Nepal," CMI Working Papers 8, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Wang, D. & Qian, W., 2018. "Gains and losses: Does farmland expropriation harm farmers welfare?," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277301, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Eugenia Chernina & Paul Castaneda Dower & Andrei Markevich, 2010. "Property Rights and Internal Migration: The Case of the Stolypin Agrarian Reform in the Russian Empire," Working Papers w0147, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Valsecchi, Michele, 2010. "Land Certification and International Migration: Evidence from Mexico," Working Papers in Economics 440, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
More about this item
Keywordsmigration; land rights insecurity; China; semiparametric censored regression models;
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- P32 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Collectives; Communes; Agricultural Institutions
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-01-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2010-01-23 (China)
- NEP-DEV-2010-01-23 (Development)
- NEP-MIG-2010-01-23 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-TRA-2010-01-23 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4668. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.