A Theoretical and Empirical Comparison of Systemic Risk Measures
We derive several popular systemic risk measures in a common framework and show that they can be expressed as transformations of market risk measures (e.g., beta). We also derive conditions under which the different measures lead to similar rankings of systemically important financial institutions (SIFIs). In an empirical analysis of US financial institutions, we show that (1) different systemic risk measures identify different SIFIs and that (2) firm rankings based on systemic risk estimates mirror rankings obtained by sorting firms on market risk or liabilities. One-factor linear models explain most of the variability of the systemic risk estimates, which indicates that systemic risk measures fall short in capturing the multiple facets of systemic risk.
|Date of creation:||18 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00746272|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- López-Espinosa, Germán & Moreno, Antonio & Rubia, Antonio & Valderrama, Laura, 2012.
"Short-term wholesale funding and systemic risk: A global CoVaR approach,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3150-3162.
- Germán López-Espinosa & Antonio Moreno & Antonio Rubia & Laura Valderrama, 2012. "Short-term Wholesale Funding and Systemic Risk: A Global CoVaR Approach," Faculty Working Papers 02/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "Short-Term Wholesale Funding and Systemic Risk; A Global Covar Approach," IMF Working Papers 12/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Eugenio Cerutti & Stijn Claessens & Patrick McGuire, 2012. "Systemic risk in global banking: what can available data tell us and what more data are needed?," BIS Working Papers 376, Bank for International Settlements.
- Sheri Markose & Simone Giansante & Mateusz Gatkowski & Ali Rais Shaghaghi, 2010.
"Too Interconnected To Fail: Financial Contagion and Systemic Risk in Network Model of CDS and Other Credit Enhancement Obligations of US Banks,"
Economics Discussion Papers
683, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Sheri Markose & Simone Giansante & Mateusz Gatkowski & Ali Rais Shaghaghi, 2010. "Too Interconnected To Fail: Financial Contagion and Systemic Risk In Network Model of CDS and Other Credit Enhancement Obligations of US Banks," Working Papers 033, COMISEF.
- Adams, Zeno & Füss, Roland & Gropp, Reint, 2013.
"Spillover effects among financial institutions: A state-dependent sensitivity value-at-risk approach,"
SAFE Working Paper Series
20, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Adams, Zeno & Füss, Roland & Gropp, Reint, 2014. "Spillover Effects among Financial Institutions: A State-Dependent Sensitivity Value-at-Risk Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 49(03), pages 575-598, June.
- Colletaz, Gilbert & Hurlin, Christophe & Pérignon, Christophe, 2013.
"The Risk Map: A new tool for validating risk models,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3843-3854.
- Gilbert Colletaz & Christophe Hurlin & Christophe Pérignon, 2012. "The Risk Map: A New Tool for Validating Risk Models," Working Papers halshs-00746273, HAL.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2012.
"Systemic Risk Contributions,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 55-83, October.
- Monica Billio & Mila Getmansky & Andrew W. Lo & Loriana Pelizzon, 2011.
"Econometric Measures of Connectedness and Systemic Risk in the Finance and Insurance Sectors,"
2011_21, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Billio, Monica & Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew W. & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2012. "Econometric measures of connectedness and systemic risk in the finance and insurance sectors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(3), pages 535-559.
- C. Gouriéroux & J.-C. Héam & A. Monfort, 2012.
"Bilateral exposures and systemic solvency risk,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1273-1309, November.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009.
"A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2009-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2009. "A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2036-2049, November.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "A Framework for Assessing the Systemic Risk of Major Financial Institutions," BIS Working Papers 281, Bank for International Settlements.
- Idier, Julien & Lamé, Gildas & Mésonnier, Jean-Stéphane, 2014.
"How useful is the Marginal Expected Shortfall for the measurement of systemic exposure? A practical assessment,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 134-146.
- Idier, J. & Lamé, G. & Mésonnier, J S., 2011. "How useful is the Marginal Expected Shortfall for the measurement of systemic exposure? A practical assessment," Working papers 348, Banque de France.
- Idier, Julien & Lamé, Gildas & Mésonnier, Jean-Stéphane, 2013. "How useful is the marginal expected shortfall for the measurement of systemic exposure? A practical assessment," Working Paper Series 1546, European Central Bank.
- Stefano Giglio, 2011. "Credit default swap spreads and systemic financial risk," Proceedings 1122, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Habert white & Tae-Hwan Kim & Simone Manganelli, 2012. "VAR for VaR: Measuring Tail Dependence Using Multivariate Regression Quantiles," Working papers 2012rwp-45, Yonsei University, Yonsei Economics Research Institute.
- Gauthier, Céline & Lehar, Alfred & Souissi, Moez, 2012. "Macroprudential capital requirements and systemic risk," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 594-618.
- Viral Acharya & Robert Engle & Matthew Richardson, 2012. "Capital Shortfall: A New Approach to Ranking and Regulating Systemic Risks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 59-64, May.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Héam, Jean-Cyprien & Monfort, Alain, 2012. "Bilateral exposures and systemic solvency risk," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/14967, Paris Dauphine University.
- Rabemananjara, R & Zakoian, J M, 1993. "Threshold Arch Models and Asymmetries in Volatility," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 31-49, Jan.-Marc.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Girardi, Giulio & Tolga Ergün, A., 2013. "Systemic risk measurement: Multivariate GARCH estimation of CoVaR," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3169-3180.
- O. Scaillet, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation and Sensitivity Analysis of Expected Shortfall," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 115-129.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00746272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.