Short-term wholesale funding and systemic risk: A global CoVaR approach
We use the CoVaR approach to identify the main factors behind systemic risk in a set of large international banks. We find that short-term wholesale funding is a key determinant in triggering systemic risk episodes. In contrast, we find weaker evidence that either size or leverage contributes to systemic risk within the class of large international banks. We also show that asymmetries based on the sign of bank returns play an important role in capturing the sensitivity of system-wide risk to individual bank returns. Since short-term wholesale funding emerges as the most relevant systemic factor, our results support the Basel Committee’s proposal to introduce a net stable funding ratio, penalizing excessive exposure to liquidity risk.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acharya, Viral V & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2012.
"Precautionary hoarding of liquidity and inter-bank markets: Evidence from the sub-prime crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Interbank Markets: Evidence from the Subprime Crisis," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 107-160.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2010. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Inter-Bank Markets: Evidence from the Sub-prime Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2010:i:may:p:65-71 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2009.
"A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2036-2049, November.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "A Framework for Assessing the Systemic Risk of Major Financial Institutions," BIS Working Papers 281, Bank for International Settlements.
- King, Mervyn A & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1990.
"Transmission of Volatility between Stock Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 5-33.
- Dimitrios Bisias & Mark Flood & Andrew W. Lo & Stavros Valavanis, 2012.
"A Survey of Systemic Risk Analytics,"
12-01, Office of Financial Research, US Department of the Treasury.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0841, Econometric Society.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Franklin Allen & Ana Babus & Elena Carletti, 2010.
"Financial Connections and Systemic Risk,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2010/30, European University Institute.
- Allen, Franklin & Babus, Ana & Carletti, Elena, 2010. "Financial Connections and Systemic Risk," Working Papers 10-20, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Franklin Allen & Ana Babus & Elena Carletti, 2010. "Financial Connections and Systemic Risk," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/26, European University Institute.
- Allen, F. & Babus, A. & Carletti, E., 2010. "Financial Connections and Systemic Risk," Discussion Paper 2010-88S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Franklin Allen & Ana Babus & Elena Carletti, 2010. "Financial Connections and Systemic Risk," NBER Working Papers 16177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ang & Joseph Chen & Yuhang Xing, 2005.
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages -.
- Rungporn Roengpitya & Phurichai Rungcharoenkitkul, 2010. "Measuring Systemic Risk And Financial Linkages In The Thai Banking System," Working Papers 2010-02, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Maarten van Oordt & Chen Zhou, 2011. "Systematic risk under extremely adverse market condition," DNB Working Papers 281, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Chen Zhou, 2010. "Are Banks Too Big to Fail? Measuring Systemic Importance of Financial Institutions," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(34), pages 205-250, December.
- Michael R King, 2009. "Time to buy or just buying time? The market reaction to bank rescue packages," BIS Working Papers 288, Bank for International Settlements.
- Worawut Wesaratchakit & Tientip Subhanij & Rungporn Roengpitya & Wanvimol Sawangngoenyuang & Chanaporn Sereevoravitgul, 2010. "Financing Thailand for Balanced and Sustainable Growth," Working Papers 2010-06, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Andreas Pick & Allan Timmermann, 2010.
"Variable Selection, Estimation and Inference for Multi-period Forecasting Problems,"
DNB Working Papers
250, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Pick, Andreas & Timmermann, Allan, 2011. "Variable selection, estimation and inference for multi-period forecasting problems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 173-187, September.
- Marcella Lucchetta & Gianni De Nicolo, 2010.
"Systemic Risks and the Macroeconomy,"
IMF Working Papers
10/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Lev Ratnovski & Rocco Huang, 2010.
"The Dark Side of Bank Wholesale Funding,"
IMF Working Papers
10/170, International Monetary Fund.
- GermÃ¡n LÃ³pez-Espinosa & Antonio Rubia & Laura Valderrama & Antonio Moreno, 2012.
"Systemic Risk and Asymmetric Responses in the Financial Industry,"
IMF Working Papers
12/152, International Monetary Fund.
- López-Espinosa, Germán & Moreno, Antonio & Rubia, Antonio & Valderrama, Laura, 2015. "Systemic risk and asymmetric responses in the financial industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 471-485.
- Enrico Perotti & Javier Suarez, 2011.
"A Pigovian Approach to Liquidity Regulation,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-040/2/DSF15, Tinbergen Institute.
- Perotti, Enrico C & Suarez, Javier, 2011. "A Pigovian Approach to Liquidity Regulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 8271, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrico Perotti & Javier Suarez, 2011. "A Pigovian Approach to Liquidity Regulation," DNB Working Papers 291, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Charles Goodhart & Miguel Segoviano, 2009. "Banking Stability Measures," FMG Discussion Papers dp627, Financial Markets Group.
- Nikola Tarashev & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2009. "The systemic importance of financial institutions," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, pages -, September.
- Adrian, Tobias & Shin, Hyun Song, 2010.
"Liquidity and leverage,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 418-437, July.
- Viral V. Acharya & Lasse H. Pedersen & Thomas Philippon & Matthew Richardson, 2010.
"Measuring systemic risk,"
1002, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Martínez-Jaramillo, Serafín & Pérez, Omar Pérez & Embriz, Fernando Avila & Dey, Fabrizio López Gallo, 2010. "Systemic risk, financial contagion and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2358-2374, November.
- Lehar, Alfred, 2005. "Measuring systemic risk: A risk management approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2577-2603, October.
- Ratnovski, Lev, 2009. "Bank liquidity regulation and the lender of last resort," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 541-558, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:36:y:2012:i:12:p:3150-3162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.