Systemic risk in global banking: what can available data tell us and what more data are needed?
The recent financial crisis has shown how interconnected the financial world has become. Shocks in one location or asset class can have a sizable impact on the stability of institutions and markets around the world. But systemic risk analysis is severely hampered by the lack of consistent data that capture the international dimensions of finance. While currently available data can be used more effectively, supervisors and other agencies need more and better data to construct even rudimentary measures of risks in the international financial system. Similarly, market participants need better information on aggregate positions and linkages to appropriately monitor and price risks. Ongoing initiatives that will help close data gaps include the G20 Data Gaps Initiative, which recommends the collection of consistent banklevel data for joint analyses and enhancements to existing sets of aggregate statistics, and enhancements to the BIS international banking statistics.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centralbahnplatz 2, CH - 4002 Basel|
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo & Heiko Hesse, 2011.
"Global Market Conditions and Systemic Risk,"
Journal of Emerging Market Finance,
Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 10(2), pages 227-252, August.
- Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo & Heiko Hesse, 2009. "Global Market Conditions and Systemic Risk," IMF Working Papers 09/230, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega, 2011. "Cross-border financial surveillance: a network perspective," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 182-205, August.
- Juan Sole & Marco A Espinosa-Vega, 2010. "Cross-Border Financial Surveillance; A Network Perspective," IMF Working Papers 10/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Giacomo Calzolari & Alberto Franco Pozzolo & Micol Levi, 2010. "Multinational banking in Europe - financial stability and regulatory implications: lessons from the financial crisis," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 703-753, October.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Giacomo Calzolari & Alberto Franco Pozzolo & Micol Levi, 2010. "Multinational Banking in Europe: Financial Stability and Regulatory Implications. Lessons from the Financial Crisis," Development Working Papers 292, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 30 Apr 2010.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Calzolari, Giacomo & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2011. "Multinational Banking in Europe - Financial Stability and Regulatory Implications: Lessons from the financial crisis," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp11056, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Calzolari, Giacomo & Levi, Micol & Pozzolo, Alberto, 2010. "Multinational Banking in Europe: Financial Stability and Regulatory Implications Lessons from the Financial Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 7823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Giacomo Calzolari & Alberto Franco Pozzolo & Micol Levi, 2010. "Multinational Banking in Europe: Financial Stability and Regulatory Implications;Lessons from the Financial Crisis," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 40, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Aneta Hryckiewicz & Oskar Kowalewski, 2011. "Why Do Foreign Banks Withdraw from Other Countries?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 67-102, 04.
- Ralph De Haas & Neeltje Van Horen, 2013. "Running for the Exit? International Bank Lending During a Financial Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(1), pages 244-285.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2011. "Running for the Exit: International Banks and Crisis Transmission," DNB Working Papers 279, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Ingo Fender & Kostas Patrick McGuire, 2010. "Toward a global risk map," BIS Working Papers 309, Bank for International Settlements.
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2007. "How banks go abroad: Branches or subsidiaries?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1669-1692, June.
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2005. "How banks go abroad : branches or subsidiaries ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3753, The World Bank.
- Upper, Christian, 2011. "Simulation methods to assess the danger of contagion in interbank markets," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 111-125, August.
- Robert McCauley & Patrick McGuire & Goetz von Peter, 2010. "The architecture of global banking: from international to multinational?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Ingo Fender & Patrick McGuire, 2010. "Bank structure, funding risk and the transmission of shocks across countries: concepts and measurement," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Eugenio Cerutti & Anna Ilyina & Yulia Makarova & Christian Schmieder, 2010. "Bankers Without Borders? Implications of Ring-Fencing for European Cross-Border Banks," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Yuliya Makarova & Anna Ilyina & Christian Schmieder & Eugenio M Cerutti, 2010. "Bankers Without Borders? Implications of Ring-Fencing for European Cross-Border Banks," IMF Working Papers 10/247, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew Powell & María Soledad Martinez Peria & Ivanna Vladkova, 2002. "Banking on Foreigners: The Behaviour of International Bank Lending to Latin America, 1985-2000"," Business School Working Papers veintiseis, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Powell, Andrew & Hollar, Ivanna Vladkova, 2002. "Banking on foreigners : the behavior of international Bank lending to Latin America, 1985-2000," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2893, The World Bank.
- Lehar, Alfred, 2005. "Measuring systemic risk: A risk management approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2577-2603, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:376. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.