Financial Flows and the International Monetary System
We review the findings of the literature on the benefits of international financial flows and find that they are quantitatively elusive. We then present evidence on the existence of a global cycle in gross cross-border flows, asset prices and leverage and discuss its impact on monetary policy autonomy across different exchange rate regimes. We focus in particular on the effect of US monetary policy shocks on the UK's financial conditions.
|Date of creation:||May 2015|
|Publication status:||Published in Economic Journal, 2015, 125 (584), <10.1111/ecoj.12268>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01453254|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karel Mertens & Morten O. Ravn, 2013.
"The Dynamic Effects of Personal and Corporate Income Tax Changes in the United States,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(4), pages 1212-1247, June.
- Mertens, Karel & Ravn, Morten O, 2011. "The Dynamic Effects of Personal and Corporate Income Tax Changes in the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 8554, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morten Ravn & Karel Mertens, 2012. "The Dynamic Effects of Personal and Corporate Income Tax Changes in the United States," 2012 Meeting Papers 638, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2012. "Disentangling the Channels of the 2007-09 Recession," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 43(1 (Spring), pages 81-156.
- Tobias Adrian & Erkko Etula & Tyler Muir, 2014. "Financial Intermediaries and the Cross-Section of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 69(6), pages 2557-2596, December.
- Hoxha, Indrit & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Vollrath, Dietrich, 2013. "How big are the gains from international financial integration?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 90-98.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Dietrich Vollrath & Indrit Hoxa, 2009. "How Big Are The Gains From International Financial Integration?," 2009 Meeting Papers 143, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hoxha, Indrit & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Vollrath, Dietrich, 2011. "How Big are the Gains from International Financial Integration?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8647, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Indrit Hoxha & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Dietrich Vollrath, 2009. "How Big are the Gains from International Financial Integration?," NBER Working Papers 14636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.