Balance Sheet Capacity and Endogenous Risk
Banks operating under Value-at-Risk constraints give rise to a well-defined aggregate balance sheet capacity for the banking sector as a whole that depends on total bank capital. Equilibrium risk and market risk premiums can be solved in closed form as functions of aggregate bank capital. We explore the empirical properties of the model in light of recent experience in the financial crisis and highlight the importance of balance sheet capacity as the driver of the financial cycle and market risk premiums.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyun Song Shin & Emanuel Moench & Tobias Adrian, 2010.
"Financial Intermediation, Asset Prices, and Macroeconomic Dynamics,"
2010 Meeting Papers
297, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Tobias Adrian & Emanuel Moench & Hyun Song Shin, 2010. "Financial intermediation, asset prices, and macroeconomic dynamics," Staff Reports 422, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Private and Public Supply of Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
5817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:starer:98-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tauchen, George & Zhang, Harold & Liu, Ming, 1996.
"Volume, volatility, and leverage: A dynamic analysis,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 177-208, September.
- Tauchen, George E. & Harold Zhang & Ming Liu, 1995. "Volume, Volatility and Leverage: A Dynamic Analysis," Working Papers 95-02, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Prasanna Gai & Nicholas Vause, 2005.
"Measuring investors' risk appetite,"
Bank of England working papers
283, Bank of England.
- Suleyman Basak & Benjamin Croitoru, "undated".
"Equilibrium Mispricing in a Capital Market with Portfolio Constraints,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
17-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Basak, Suleyman & Croitoru, Benjamin, 2000. "Equilibrium Mispricing in a Capital Market with Portfolio Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 715-748.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Mark Gertler, 1999.
""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 3-35, January.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Gertler, M., 1998. ""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium," Working Papers 98-25, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Mark Gertler, 1998. ""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 6747, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mele, Antonio, 2007. "Asymmetric stock market volatility and the cyclical behavior of expected returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 446-478, November.
- Gromb, Denis & Vayanos, Dimitri, 2002.
"Equilibrium and welfare in markets with financially constrained arbitrageurs,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 361-407.
- Denis Gromb & Dimitri Vayanos, 2002. "Equilibrium and welfare in markets with financially constrained arbitrageurs," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 448, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gromb, Denis & Vayanos, Dimitri, 2001. "Equilibrium and Welfare in Markets with Financially Constrained Arbitrageurs," CEPR Discussion Papers 3049, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jones, Christopher S., 2003. "The dynamics of stochastic volatility: evidence from underlying and options markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 181-224.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-343.
- Antonio Bernardo & Ivo Welch, 2006.
"Liquidity and Financial Market Runs,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm280, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2003.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Ebens, Heiko, 2001. "The distribution of realized stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 43-76, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fmg:fmgdps:dp665. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.