When do textbooks matter for achievement? Evidence from African primary schools
Using a within-student analysis, we find no average impact of textbook access (ownership or sharing) on primary school achievement. Instead, it is only for students with high socioeconomic status that one form of textbook access - sharing - has a positive impact.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economics Letters, Elsevier, 2013, 119 (3), pp.311-315. <10.1016/j.econlet.2013.03.012>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00828418|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Kremer & Alaka Holla, 2009. "Improving Education in the Developing World: What Have We Learned from Randomized Evaluations?," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 513-545, 05.
- Paul Glewwe & Michael Kremer & Sylvie Moulin, 2007.
"Many Children Left Behind? Textbooks and Test Scores in Kenya,"
NBER Working Papers
13300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sylvie Moulin & Michael Kremer & Paul Glewwe, 2009. "Many Children Left Behind? Textbooks and Test Scores in Kenya," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 112-35, January.
- Thomas S. Dee, 2005.
"Teachers and the Gender Gaps in Student Achievement,"
NBER Working Papers
11660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas S. Dee, 2007. "Teachers and the Gender Gaps in Student Achievement," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 42(3).
- Gérard Lassibille & Jee-Peng Tan & Julia Lane, 1999.
"Student outcomes in Philippine elementary schools: An evaluation of four experiments,"
- Tan, Jee-Peng & Lane, Julia & Lassibille, Gerard, 1999. "Student Outcomes in Philippine Elementary Schools: An Evaluation of Four Experiments," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(3), pages 493-508, September.
- Sebastian Fehrler & Katharina Michaelowa & Annika Wechtler, 2009. "The Effectiveness of Inputs in Primary Education: Insights from Recent Student Surveys for Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1545-1578.
- Monazza Aslam & Geeta Kingdon, 2007.
"What can Teachers do to Raise Pupil Achievement?,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2007-14, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Frölich, Markus & Michaelowa, Katharina, 2011. "Peer effects and textbooks in African primary education," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 474-486, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00828418. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.