Worker Directors: A German Product that Didn’t Export?
Despite its seeming lack of attractiveness to other countries, the German system of quasi-parity codetermination at company level has thus far held up fairly well. We recount the theoretical arguments for and against this form of codetermination, and survey the evolving empirical evidence as to its economic impact. Even if theory and the more recent empirical findings hold out the prospect that the apparatus of good corporate governance might include employee representation on company boards, caveats attach to the extent of representation and the composition of the worker side. But even if the entity has performed better than its external reputation might indicate, it is clearly in the process of adapting to change. In particular, the availability of alternative forms of corporate governance will increasingly shape the German institution.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva 165; 3004-512 Coimbra|
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2004.
"What Do Unions Do for Economic Performance?,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 415-456, July.
- Gurdon, Michael A. & Rai, Anoop, 1990. "Codetermination and enterprise performance: Empirical evidence from West Germany," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 289-302, November.
- Gary Gorton & Frank A. Schmid, 2004. "Capital, Labor, and The Firm: A Study of German Codetermination," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(5), pages 863-905, 09.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Kraft, Kornelius, 2004.
"Co-Determination, Efficiency, and Productivity,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1442, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kraft, Kornelius, 2001. "Codetermination as a strategic advantage?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 543-566, March.
- Kornelius Kraft & Jörg Stank, 2004. "Die Auswirkungen der gesetzlichen Mitbestimmung auf die Innova-tionsaktivität deutscher Unternehmen," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 124(3), pages 421-449.
- Luis M. Granero, 2006. "Codetermination, R&D, and Employment," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 162(2), pages 309-328, June.
- Furubotn, Eirik G, 1988. "Codetermination and the Modern Theory of the Firm: A Property-Rights Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(2), pages 165-181, April.
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2004.
"The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 255-281, 06.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "The Course of Research into the Economic Consequences of German Works Councils," IZA Discussion Papers 878, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "The course of research into the economic consequences of German works councils," Discussion Papers 22, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-1398, November.
- Gérard Charreaux & Philippe Desbrières, 2001.
"Corporate Governance: Stakeholder Value Versus Shareholder Value,"
Journal of Management & Governance,
Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 5(2), pages 107-128, June.
- Gérard Charreaux & Philippe Desbrières, 2001. "Corporate Governance: Stakeholder Value Versus Shareholder Value," Working Papers CREGO 1010301, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Kraft, Kornelius, 1998. "The codetermined firm in oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 195-201, November.
- Jensen, Michael C & Meckling, William H, 1979. "Rights and Production Functions: An Application to Labor-managed Firms and Codetermination," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 469-506, October.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 1991. "Labor Unions and the Economic Performance of Unions," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number luepf, 06.
- Simon Renaud, 2007. "Dynamic Efficiency of Supervisory Board Codetermination in Germany," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(4-5), pages 689-712, December.
- Richard B. Freeman & Edward P. Lazear, 1995.
"An Economic Analysis of Works Councils,"
in: Works Councils: Consultation, Representation, and Cooperation in Industrial Relations, pages 27-52
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fauver, Larry & Fuerst, Michael E., 2006. "Does good corporate governance include employee representation? Evidence from German corporate boards," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 673-710, December.
- FitzRoy, Felix R & Kraft, Kornelius, 1993. " Economic Effects of Codetermination," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(3), pages 365-375.
- Rebecca Gumbrell-McCormick & Richard Hyman, 2006. "Embedded collectivism?: workplace representation in France and Germany," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 750, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Benelli, Giuseppe & Loderer, Claudio & Lys, Thomas, 1987. "Labor Participation in Corporate Policy-Making Decisions: West Germany's Experience with Codetermination," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 553-575, October.
- Kraft Kornelius & Ugarkovič Marija, 2006. "Gesetzliche Mitbestimmung und Kapitalrendite Co-Determination and Return on Equity / Co-Determination and Return on Equity," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 226(5), pages 588-604, October.
- Richard Hyman, 1997. "The Future of Employee Representation," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 35(3), pages 309-336, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2009-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Seiça)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.