The Economic Consequences of One-third Co-determination in German Supervisory Boards, First Evidence for the Service Sector from a New Source of Enterprise Data
In Germany, the establishment of supervisory boards and, therefore, the board-level employee representation are mandatory, depending on the legal form and size of a company. However, the empirical analysis reveals that the bigger part of the companies observed (Limited liability companies with 500 to 2000 employees active in the West-German service sector) does not satisfy the law. This fact has strong impact on research questions in the co-determination field: Many studies have tried to analyze the economic consequences of the German co-determination laws (all examining the 1976 Co-determination Act). However, as the regulations are compulsory, compelling results are difficult to obtain. The bigger part of the studies compares companies that fall into the scope of different co-determination laws. This implies that mainly big companies are contrasted to smaller ones. It is not difficult to see that a comparison of such kind entails further irregularities. The study presented allows better analysis. The data is taken from two sources: the commercial Hoppenstedt Database and official German statistics. Due to the special kind of data it is possible to compare companies of same size, same legal form, active in the same sector that only differ in the existence or non-existence of a supervisory board. Therefore, the study at hand provides more accurate evidence of the economic consequences of the German 2004 Co-determination Act.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 231 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen|
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel, 2009.
"Worker Directors: A German Product that Didn’t Export?,"
GEMF Working Papers
2009-02, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus, 2009. "Worker directors: a German product that didn't export?," Discussion Papers 61, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel, 2009. "Worker Directors: A German Product that Didn't Export?," Professional Reports 03_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus, 2009. "Worker directors: a German product that didn't export?," FAU Discussion Papers in Economics 01/2009, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Institute for Economics.
- John T. Addison & Claus Schnabel, 2009. "Worker Directors: A German Product that Didn’t Export?," Economics Working Papers 09-08, Queen's Management School, Queen's University Belfast.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus, 2009. "Worker Directors: A German Product that Didn't Export?," IZA Discussion Papers 3918, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Donges, Juergen B. & Eekhoff, Johann & Franz, Wolfgang & Fuest, Clemens & Möschel, Wernhard & Neumann, Manfred J. M., 2007. "Unternehmensmitbestimmung ohne Zwang," Kronberger Kreis-Studien 47, Stiftung Marktwirtschaft / The Market Economy Foundation, Berlin.
- Bernd Frick, 2004. "Does Ownership Matter? Empirical Evidence from the German Wine Industry," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 357-386, 08.
- Richard B. Freeman & Edward P. Lazear, 1995.
"An Economic Analysis of Works Councils,"
in: Works Councils: Consultation, Representation, and Cooperation in Industrial Relations, pages 27-52
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Kraft, Kornelius, 2004.
"Co-Determination, Efficiency, and Productivity,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1442, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Franziska Boneberg, 2009. "Die Aufsichtsratsluecke im Dienstleistungssektor. Ausmass und Bestimmungsgruende (Missing Supervisory Boards in the Service Sector. Dimensions and Determinants)," Industrielle Beziehungen - Zeitschrift fuer Arbeit, Organisation und Management - The German Journal of Industrial Relations, Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 16(4), pages 349-366.
- Alexander Dilger, 2009. "Das Fehlen eines Aufsichtsrats muss nicht rechtswidrig sein. Kritische Anmerkungen zu 'Die Aufsichtsratsluecke im Dienstleistungssektor: Ausmass und Bestimmungsgruende' von Franziska Boneberg (The Abs," Industrielle Beziehungen - Zeitschrift fuer Arbeit, Organisation und Management - The German Journal of Industrial Relations, Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 16(4), pages 367-375.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007.
"Exports and Productivity in Germany,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2007-15, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity in Germany," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(4), pages 353-373.
- Kornelius Kraft & Jörg Stank, 2004. "Die Auswirkungen der gesetzlichen Mitbestimmung auf die Innova-tionsaktivität deutscher Unternehmen," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 124(3), pages 421-449.
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000.
"Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000. "Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Benelli, Giuseppe & Loderer, Claudio & Lys, Thomas, 1987. "Labor Participation in Corporate Policy-Making Decisions: West Germany's Experience with Codetermination," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 553-75, October.
- Gurdon, Michael A. & Rai, Anoop, 1990. "Codetermination and enterprise performance: Empirical evidence from West Germany," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 289-302, November.
- Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"One-third codetermination at company supervisory boards and firm performance in German manufacturing Industries: First direct evidence from a new type of enterprise data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
136, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "One-third Codetermination at Company Supervisory Boards and Firm Performance in German Manufacturing Industries: First Direct Evidence from a New Type of Enterprise Data," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 131(1), pages 91-106.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "One-third Codetermination at Company Supervisory Boards and Firm Performance in German Manufacturing Industries: First Direct Evidence from a New Type of Enterprise Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4352, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- FitzRoy, Felix R & Kraft, Kornelius, 1993. " Economic Effects of Codetermination," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(3), pages 365-75.
- Sadowski, Dieter & Junkes, Joachim & Lindenthal, Sabine, 2000. "Gesetzliche Mitbestimmung in Deutschland: Idee, Erfahrungen und Perspektiven aus ökonomischer Sicht," Quint-Essenzen 61, University of Trier, Institute for Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Community (IAAEG).
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Franziska Boneberg, 2009. "Recht und Realität von Mitbestimmung im westdeutschen Dienstleistungssektor: 11 Fallstudien," Working Paper Series in Economics 150, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Kraft, Kornelius, 2006. "Die Effizienzwirkungen der gesetzlichen Mitbestimmung," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1949 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 86(11), pages 708-711.
- Simon Renaud, 2007. "Dynamic Efficiency of Supervisory Board Codetermination in Germany," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 21(4-5), pages 689-712, December.
- Furubotn, Eirik G, 1988. "Codetermination and the Modern Theory of the Firm: A Property-Rights Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(2), pages 165-81, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:231:y:2011:i:3:p:440-457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.