Leveling the field for biofuels: Comparing the economic and environmental impacts of biofuel and other export crops in Malawi:
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Franziska Schuenemann & James Thurlow & Manfred Zeller, 2017. "Leveling the field for biofuels: comparing the economic and environmental impacts of biofuel and other export crops in Malawi," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 48(3), pages 301-315, May.
References listed on IDEAS
- Thomas, Valerie & Kwong, Andrew, 2001. "Ethanol as a lead replacement: phasing out leaded gasoline in Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(13), pages 1133-1143, November.
- Siwa Msangi & Martin Evans, 2013. "Biofuels and developing economies: is the timing right?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(4-5), pages 501-510, July.
- Negash, Martha & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2013.
"Biofuels and food security: Micro-evidence from Ethiopia,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 963-976.
- Negash, Martha, 2012. "Biofuels and Food Security: Micro-evidence from Ethiopia," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126793, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Martha Negash & Jo Swinnen, 2012. "Biofuels and Food Security: Micro-evidence from Ethiopia," LICOS Discussion Papers 31912, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Mark W. Rosegrant & Tingju Zhu & Siwa Msangi & Timothy Sulser, 2008.
"Global Scenarios for Biofuels: Impacts and Implications ,"
Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 495-505.
- Mark W. Rosegrant & Tingju Zhu & Siwa Msangi & Timothy Sulser, 2008. "Global Scenarios for Biofuels: Impacts and Implications," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 495-505.
- Searchinger, Timothy & Heimlich, Ralph & Houghton, R. A. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Tokgoz, Simla & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yu, Hun-Hsiang, 2008. "Use of U.S. Croplands for Biofuels Increases Greenhouse Gases Through Emissions from Land-Use Change," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12881, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Quintero, Julián A. & Cardona, Carlos A. & Felix, Erika & Moncada, Jonathan & Sánchez, Óscar J. & Gutiérrez, Luis F., 2012. "Techno-economic analysis of bioethanol production in Africa: Tanzania case," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 442-454.
- Arndt, Channing & Pauw, Karl & Thurlow, James, 2012. "Biofuels and economic development: A computable general equilibrium analysis for Tanzania," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1922-1930.
- Raoul Herrmann & Ulrike Grote, 2015. "Large-scale Agro-Industrial Investments and Rural Poverty: Evidence from Sugarcane in Malawi," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 24(5), pages 645-676.
- James Thurlow & Giacomo Branca & Erika Felix & Irini Maltsoglou & Luis E. Rincón, 2016.
"Producing Biofuels in Low-Income Countries: An Integrated Environmental and Economic Assessment for Tanzania,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 64(2), pages 153-171, June.
- Branca, Giacomo & Felix, Erika & Maltsoglou, Irini & Rincon, Luis E. & Thurlow, James, 2014. "Producing biofuels in low-income countries: An integrated environmental and economic assessment for Tanzania," WIDER Working Paper Series 018, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brinkman, Marnix L.J. & Wicke, Birka & Faaij, André P.C. & van der Hilst, Floor, 2019. "Projecting socio-economic impacts of bioenergy: Current status and limitations of ex-ante quantification methods," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 115(C).
- Bellemare, Marc F. & Bloem, Jeffrey R., 2018. "Does contract farming improve welfare? A review," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 259-271.
- Aragie, Emerta & Pauw, Karl & Pernechele, Valentina, 2018.
"Achieving food security and industrial development in Malawi: Are export restrictions the solution?,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 1-15.
- Aragie, Emerta & Pauw, Karl & Pernechele, Valentina, 2016. "Achieving food security and industrial development in Malawi: Are export restrictions the solution?," MaSSP working papers 15, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Aragie, Emerta & Pauw, Karl & Pernechele, Valentina, 2016. "Achieving food security and industrial development in Malawi: Are export restrictions the solution?," 2016 Fifth International Conference, September 23-26, 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 246391, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Hunsberger, Carol & German, Laura & Goetz, Ariane, 2017. "“Unbundling” the biofuel promise: Querying the ability of liquid biofuels to deliver on socio-economic policy expectations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 791-805.
- Benfica, Rui & Cunguara, Benedito & Thurlow, James, 2019. "Linking agricultural investments to growth and poverty: An economywide approach applied to Mozambique," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 172(C), pages 91-100.
- Schuenemann, Franziska & Msangi, Siwa & Zeller, Manfred, 2018. "Policies for a Sustainable Biomass Energy Sector in Malawi: Enhancing Energy and Food Security Simultaneously," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 14-26.
- Franziska Schuenemann & James Thurlow & Stefan Meyer & Richard Robertson & Joao Rodrigues, 2018. "Evaluating irrigation investments in Malawi: economyâ€ wide impacts under uncertainty and labor constraints," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 49(2), pages 237-250, March.
More about this item
Keywordswater use; land use; energy; biofuels; food security; bioenergy; fuels; natural resources; sustainability;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2016-03-17 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2016-03-17 (Development)
- NEP-ENE-2016-03-17 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2016-03-17 (Environmental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:1500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ifprius.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.