Financial Crisis and Crisis Management in Sweden. Lessons for Today
This paper gives an account of the Swedish financial crisis covering the period 1985â€“2000, dealing with financial deregulation and the boom in the late 1980s, the bust and the financial crisis in the early 1990s, the recovery from the crisis and the bank resolution policy adopted during the crisis. The paper focuses on three issues: the causes and consequences of the financial crisis, the policy response concerning bank resolution, and the applicability of the Swedish model of bank crisis management for countries currently facing financial problems.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jennergren, L. Peter, 2001. "The Swedish Finance Company Crisis -- Could It Have Been Anticipated?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Business Administration 2001:6, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 12 Dec 2001.
- Lars Jonung, 2008. "Lessons from Financial Liberalisation in Scandinavia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(4), pages 564-598, December.
- Calomiris, Charles W & Klingebiel, Daniela & Laeven, Luc, 2004. "A taxonomy of financial crisis resolution mechanisms : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3379, The World Bank.
- Englund, Peter, 1999. "The Swedish Banking Crisis: Roots and Consequences," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 80-97, Autumn.
- Hongyi Chen & Lars Jonung & Olaf Unteroberdoerster, 2009.
"Lessons for China from Financial Liberalization in Scandinavia,"
262009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Hongyi Chen & Lars Jonung & Olaf Unteroberdoerster, 2014. "Lessons for China from Financial Liberalization in Scandinavia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 13(1), pages 1-44, February.
- Hongyi Chen & Lars Jonung & Olaf Unteroberdoerster, 2009. "Lessons for China from financial liberalization in Scandinavia," European Economy - Economic Papers 383, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Burkhard Drees & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1998. "The Nordic Banking Crisis: Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization: Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 161, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonung, Lars & Fregert, Klas, 2008.
"Inflation Targeting Is a Success, So Far: 100 Years of Evidence from Swedish Wage Contracts,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 2, pages 1-25.
- Fregert, Klas & Jonung, Lars, 2008. "Inflation Targeting Is a Success, So Far: 100 Years of Evidence from Swedish Wage Contracts," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-24, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises: A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars Jonoug & Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia (ed.), 2009. "The Great Financial Crisis in Finland and Sweden," Books, Edward Elgar, number 13404.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.