Inflation Targeting Is a Success, So Far: 100 Years of Evidence from Swedish Wage Contracts
We evaluate the Swedish inflation targeting regime adopted in 1993−1995 using a novel approach based on a unique data set on the characteristics of collective wage agreements between 1908 and 2008. We find that the inflation targeting regime of 1995−2008 stands out as an exceptionally stable policy regime as judged by the willingness of wage contract-makers to repeatedly commit to three-year non-indexed wage agreements. Inflation targeting gained instant credibility in the sense that the labor market organizations entered long-term wage agreements at the same time as this new regime was announced. Inflation targeting has thus reduced macroeconomic uncertainty compared to previous regimes adopted in Sweden, including the gold standard before and after World War I, the price level targeting of the 1930s, the Bretton Woods period of fixed exchange rates. As judged by the reactions of the labor market participants, inflation targeting in Sweden is a success¯at least so far.
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1978. "On Indexation and Contract Length," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Mihov, Ilian, 2008.
"Is Old Money Better than New? Duration and Monetary Regimes,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2, pages 1-24.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Mihov, Ilian, 2007. "Is Old Money Better than New? Duration and Monetary Regimes," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-25, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Mihov, Ilian & Rose, Andrew K, 2007. "Is Old Money Better than New? Duration and Monetary Regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 6529, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berg, Claes & Jonung, Lars, 1998.
"Pioneering Price Level Targeting: The Swedish Experience 1931-1937,"
642, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Berg, Claes & Jonung, Lars, 1999. "Pioneering price level targeting: The Swedish experience 1931-1937," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 525-551, June.
- Berg, Claes & Jonung, Lars, 1998. "Pioneering Price Level Targeting:The Swedish Experience 1931-1937," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 290, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Berg, C. & Jonung, L., 1998. "Pioneering Price Level Targeting: The Swedish Experience 1931-1937," Papers 642, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Louis Christofides & Amy Chen Peng, 2003.
"Contract Duration and Indexation in a Period of Real and Nominal Uncertainty,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
994, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christofides, Louis N. & Peng, Chen, 2006. "Contract duration and indexation in a period of real and nominal uncertainty," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 61-86, February.
- Christofides, L. & Peng, C., 2004. "Contract Duration and Indexation in a Period of Real and Nominal Uncertainty," Working Papers 2004-3, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Two Illustrations of the Quantity Theory of Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1005-14, December.
- Robert Rich & Joe Tracy, 2000.
"Uncertainty and labor contract durations,"
106, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in the World Economy," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 346, May.
- repec:nbr:nberre:0126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Murphy, Kevin J., 2000. "What effect does uncertainty have on the length of labor contracts?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 181-201, March.
- Fethke, Gary C & Policano, Andrew J, 1981. "Cooperative Responses by Public and Private Agents to Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(190), pages 155-71, May.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1979. "Wage Indexing Rules and the Behavior of the Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 798-815, August.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Schwartz, Anna J., 1999.
"Monetary policy regimes and economic performance: The historical record,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 149-234
- Michael D. Bordo & Anna J. Schwartz, 1997. "Monetary Policy Regimes and Economic Performance: The Historical Record," NBER Working Papers 6201, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Shu & Ye, Haichun, 2007. "Does inflation targeting really make a difference? Evaluating the treatment effect of inflation targeting in seven industrial countries," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2521-2533, November.
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 2004. "Why the Federal Reserve Should Not Adopt Inflation Targeting," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 129-136, 03.
- Steven Klepper & Edward E. Leamer, 1982. "Consistent Sets of Estimates," UCLA Economics Working Papers 282, UCLA Department of Economics.
- McCallum, John, 1983. "Stabilization Policy and Endogenous Wage Stickiness," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 414-19, June.
- Lars Calmfors & Asa Johansson, 2006. "Nominal Wage Flexibility, Wage Indexation and Monetary Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(508), pages 283-308, 01.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Torsten, 1988. "Exchange rate policy, wage formation and credibility," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1621-1636, October.
- Jonung, Lars, 1979. "Knut wicksell's norm of price stabilization and Swedish monetary policy in the 1930's," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 459-496, October.
- Lennart Erixon, 2008. "The Swedish third way: an assessment of the performance and validity of the Rehn--Meidner model," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 367-393, May.
- Stanley Fischer, 1986. "Contracts, Credibility, and Disinflation," NBER Working Papers 1339, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Groth, Charlotta & Johansson, Åsa, 2002.
"Bargaining Structure and Nominal Wage Flexibility,"
709, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Klepper, Steven & Leamer, Edward E, 1984. "Consistent Sets of Estimates for Regressions with Errors in All Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 163-83, January.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:7398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.