Delays in Renewal of Labor Contracts: Theory and Evidence
In many countries, an expired labor contract is automatically extended during the often protracted delay before the new contract is signed. Our theoretical model focuses on macroeconomic factors in explaining the delay. It emphasizes the importance of the realized nominal and real shocks, and of the levels of nominal and real uncertainty. The model is tested using Israeli collective wage agreements where long delays are frequent. The empirical findings strongly support the theoretical model. Thus, nominal uncertainty is found to increase the delay, and real uncertainty to decrease the delay, but less in the public than in the private sector.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Labor Economics, 2005, 23(2), 341-372|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nerlove,Marc, 2002.
"Essays in Panel Data Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521815345, September.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Holden, Steinar, 1994. "Wage bargaining and nominal rigidities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1021-1039, May.
- Danziger, Leif, 1992. "On the Prevalence of Labor Contracts with Fixed Duration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 195-206, March.
- Danziger, Leif, 1995. "Contract Reopeners," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 62-87, January.
- Peter Cramton & Joseph S. Tracy, 1994.
"The Determinants of U.S. Labor Disputes,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
94jole, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- Robert Rich & Joseph Tracy, 2004.
"Uncertainty and Labor Contract Durations,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 270-287, February.
- Harris, Milton & Holmstrom, Bengt, 1987. "On the Duration of Agreements," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(2), pages 389-406, June.
- Vroman, Susan B, 1989. "Inflation Uncertainty and Contract Duration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 677-81, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp709. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.