The great financial crisis in Finland and Sweden - The dynamics of boom, bust and recovery, 1985-2000
This paper explores the anatomy of the boom, deep depression and recovery in the Finnish and Swedish economies in the period 1985-2000. These fifteen years are divided into three phases: (1) financial liberalization and the boom and the overheating of 1985-90, (2) the outbreak and spread of the crisis to all sectors of the economy in 1990-92, and (3) the recovery 1993-2000. Each period is analyzed separately.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann (ed.), 2005.
"Boom-Bust Cycles and Financial Liberalization,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 9780262201599, June.
- Jonung, Lars & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tujula, Mika, 2005.
"The boom-bust cycle in Finland and Sweden 1984-1995 in an international perspective,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2006/13, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Lars Jonung & Ludger Schuknecht & Mika Tujula, 2005. "The boom-bust cycle in Finland and Sweden 1984-1995 in an international perspective," European Economy - Economic Papers 237, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Fregert, Klas & Jonung, Lars, 2008.
"Inflation Targeting Is a Success, So Far: 100 Years of Evidence from Swedish Wage Contracts,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2008-24, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jonung, Lars & Fregert, Klas, 2008. "Inflation Targeting Is a Success, So Far: 100 Years of Evidence from Swedish Wage Contracts," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2, pages 1-25.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Erkki Koskela & Jouko Paunio, 1996. "The depression of the 1990s in Finland : an analytic view," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 37-54, Spring.
- Maliranta, Mika, . "Micro Level Dynamics of Productivity Growth. An Empirical Analysis of the Great Leap in Finnish Manufacturing Productivity in 1975-2000," ETLA A, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, number 38.
- King, Mervyn, 1994. "Debt deflation: Theory and evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 419-445, April.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Erkki Koskela, 1999.
"The economic crisis of the 1990s in Finland,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(29), pages 399-436, October.
- Edquist, Harald, 2005.
"The Swedish ICT miracle -- myth or reality?,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 275-301, July.
- Edquist, Harald, 2004. "The Swedish ICT Miracle - Myth or Reality," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 556, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 29 Mar 2004.
- Burkhard Drees & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1995.
"The Nordic Banking Crises; Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization?,"
IMF Working Papers
95/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Burkhard Drees & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1998. "The Nordic Banking Crisis; Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 161, International Monetary Fund.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Erkki A. Koskela & Willi Leibfritz & Roope Uusitalo, 2009. "Economic Prosperity Recaptured: The Finnish Path from Crisis to Rapid Growth," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012693, June.
- Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 1996. "The great depression of the 1990s in Finland," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 72-88, Spring.
- James S. Fackler & Randall E. Parker, 2005. "Was Debt Deflation Operative during the Great Depression?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 43(1), pages 67-78, January.
- Lars Jonung & Thomas Hagberg, 2005. "How costly was the crisis of the 1990s? A comparative analysis of the deepest crises in Finland and Sweden over the last 130 years," European Economy - Economic Papers 224, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jennergren, L. Peter, 2001. "The Swedish Finance Company Crisis -- Could It Have Been Anticipated?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Business Administration 2001:6, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 12 Dec 2001.
- Lars Jonung & Hans Tson Söderström & Joakim Stymne, 1996. "Depression in the north - boom and bust in Sweden and Finland, 1985-93," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 55-71, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:euf:ecopap:0350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.