Depression in the north - boom and bust in Sweden and Finland, 1985-93
A comparison of the boom-and-bust cycle of Sweden and Finland during 198593 reveals remarkable similarities. We examine macroeconomic developments during the period with a special emphasis on asset market developments. The seeds of the crisis were »traditional» Nordic problems combined with the consequences of late deregulation of financial markets. We identify five factors that were present in both countries and that account for the depth of the downturn: an »ordinaly» cyclical downturn, a real interest rate shock, asset price deflation with balance sheet consolidation, financial fragility and slow structural adjustment. Differences in policy response are analyzed.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaufman, Roger T., 1988. "An international comparison of Okun's laws," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 182-203, June.
- Mishkin, F.S., 1988.
"What Does The Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?,"
fb-_88-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1990. "What does the term structure tell us about future inflation?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 77-95, January.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1988. "What Does the Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?," NBER Working Papers 2626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Nouriel Roubini, 1996. "Budget deficits, public sector solvency and political biases in fiscal policy : a case study of Finland," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 18-36, Spring.
- Steigum, E.Jr., 1992. "Financial Deregulation, Credit Boom and Banking Crisis: The Case of Norway," Papers 15-92, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1988.
"Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
2534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:9:y:1996:i:1:p:55-71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.