Depression in the north - boom and bust in Sweden and Finland, 1985-93
A comparison of the boom-and-bust cycle of Sweden and Finland during 198593 reveals remarkable similarities. We examine macroeconomic developments during the period with a special emphasis on asset market developments. The seeds of the crisis were »traditional» Nordic problems combined with the consequences of late deregulation of financial markets. We identify five factors that were present in both countries and that account for the depth of the downturn: an »ordinaly» cyclical downturn, a real interest rate shock, asset price deflation with balance sheet consolidation, financial fragility and slow structural adjustment. Differences in policy response are analyzed.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1990.
"What does the term structure tell us about future inflation?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 77-95, January.
- Mishkin, F.S., 1988. "What Does The Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?," Papers fb-_88-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1988. "What Does the Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?," NBER Working Papers 2626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaufman, Roger T., 1988. "An international comparison of Okun's laws," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 182-203, June.
- Steigum, E.Jr., 1992. "Financial Deregulation, Credit Boom and Banking Crisis: The Case of Norway," Papers 15-92, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1988. "Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 435-439, May.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1988. "Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand," NBER Working Papers 2534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Nouriel Roubini, 1996. "Budget deficits, public sector solvency and political biases in fiscal policy : a case study of Finland," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 18-36, Spring. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)