The Increased Revenue from Finnish Corporate Income Tax in the 1990s
In 2000, revenues from corporate income tax (CIT) in Finland were seven times higher than in 1994. We decompose the aggregate development of CIT revenues in a number of ways in order to establish what aspects of corporate taxation changed. We present the average effective tax rate for corporations as calculated from micro data. We also describe the development of CIT revenues using distributional analysis and the decomposition of the aggregate growth rate. Our analysis suggests that the substantial increase in CIT revenues was not related to any concurrent change in the Finnish corporate tax system. This phenomenon can be ascribed to a few large corporations, that have domicile in Finland. We also find that exceptional increase in the profits of large Finnish corporations explain much of the increase in CIT revenues. Finland can be seen as a case study since CIT revenues also increased in some other European countries in the 1990s.
|Date of creation:||25 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Peter & Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Bootstrap Critical Values for Tests Based on Generalized-Method-of-Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 891-916, July.
- Bernard, A.B. & Jones, C.I., 1993.
"Productivity Across Industries and Countries: Time Series Theory and Evidence,"
93-17, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bernard, Andrew B & Jones, Charles I, 1996. "Productivity across Industries and Countries: Time Series Theory and Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 135-46, February.
- Tomi Kyyrä & Mika Maliranta, 2008.
"The micro-level dynamics of declining labour share: lessons from the Finnish great leap ,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(6), pages 1147-1172, December.
- Tomi Kyyrä & Mika Maliranta, 2006. "The Micro-Level Dynamics of Declining Labour Share: Lessons from the Finnish Great Leap," Discussion Papers 406, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Maliranta, Mika, 2001. "Productivity Growth and Micro-level Restructuring. Finnish experiences during the turbulent decades," Discussion Papers 757, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Michael P. Devereux & Peter Birch SÃ¸rensen, 2006. "The Corporate Income Tax: international trends and options for fundamental reform," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 264, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 1996.
"The great depression of the 1990s in Finland,"
Finnish Economic Papers,
Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 72-88, Spring.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2004. "Why has the UK corporation tax raised so much revenue?," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 25(4), pages 367-388, December.
- Jaakko Kiander, 2004. "The Evolution of the Finnish Model in the 1990s: from Depression to High-tech Boom," Discussion Papers 344, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Harry Huizinga & Luc Laeven, 2006.
"International profit shifting within multinationals: a multi-country perspective,"
European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015
260, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Huizinga, Harry & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "International profit shifting within multinationals: A multi-country perspective," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1164-1182, June.
- Kimberly Clausing, 2007. "Corporate tax revenues in OECD countries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 14(2), pages 115-133, April.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2001. "The Bootstrap," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 52, pages 3159-3228 Elsevier.
- Kyyrä, Tomi & Maliranta, Mika, 2006. "The Micro-level Dynamics of Declining Labour Share: Lessons from Finnish Great Leap," Discussion Papers 1049, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.