Trademark or patent? The effects of market structure, customer type and venture capital financing on start-ups' IP decisions
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- Christian Helmers & Mark Rogers, 2010. "Innovation and the Survival of New Firms in the UK," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 36(3), pages 227-248, May.
- R. E. Caves & M. E. Porter, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-261.
- Wagner, S. & Cockburn, I., 2010. "Patents and the survival of Internet-related IPOs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 214-228, March.
- Stuart J.H. Graham & Galen Hancock & Alan C. Marco & Amanda Fila Myers, 2013. "The USPTO Trademark Case Files Dataset: Descriptions, Lessons, and Insights," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 669-705, December.
- Giovanni B. Ramello & Francesco Silva, 2006.
"Appropriating signs and meaning: the elusive economics of trademark,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(6), pages 937-963, December.
- Ramello, Giovanni B. & Silva, Francesco, 2006. "Appropriating signs and meaning: The elusive economics of trademark," POLIS Working Papers 70, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Richard Schmalensee, 1978. "Entry Deterrence in the Ready-to-Eat Breakfast Cereal Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 305-327, Autumn.
- Engel, Dirk & Keilbach, Max, 2007.
"Firm-level implications of early stage venture capital investment -- An empirical investigation,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 150-167, March.
- Max Keilbach & Dirk Engel, "undated". "Firm Level Implications of Early Stage Venture Capital Investment - An Empiri cal Investigation," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-22, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Keilbach, Max & Engel, Dirk, 2002. "Firm Level Implications of Early Stage Venture Capital Investment: An Empirical Investigation," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-82, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, February.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Research Papers 1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Haeussler, Caroline & Harhoff, Dietmar & Müller, Elisabeth, 2009.
"To Be Financed or Not... - The Role of Patents for Venture Capital Financing,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
253, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Mueller, Elisabeth & Harhoff, Dietmar & Haeussler, Carolin, 2009. "To Be Financed or Not : The Role of Patents for Venture Capital Financing," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-003, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Federico Munari & Laura Toschi, 2011. "Do venture capitalists have a bias against investment in academic spin-offs? Evidence from the micro- and nanotechnology sector in the UK," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 397-432, April.
- Baum, Joel A. C. & Silverman, Brian S., 2004. "Picking winners or building them? Alliance, intellectual, and human capital as selection criteria in venture financing and performance of biotechnology startups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 411-436, May.
- Arora, Ashish, 1997.
"Patents, licensing, and market structure in the chemical industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 391-403, December.
- Ashish Arora, 1996. "Patents, Licensing, And Market Structure In The Chemical Industry," Industrial Organization 9605003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beamon, Benita M., 1998. "Supply chain design and analysis:: Models and methods," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 281-294, August.
- Ying Kong & James R. Seldon, 2004. "Pseudo-Generic Products and Barriers to Entry in Pharmaceutical Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 25(1), pages 71-86, August.
- Mann, Ronald J. & Sager, Thomas W., 2007. "Patents, venture capital, and software start-ups," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 193-208, March.
- Scott,John T., 2005.
"Purposive Diversification and Economic Performance,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521022583, October.
- Scott,John T., 1993. "Purposive Diversification and Economic Performance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521430159, October.
- Amara, Nabil & Landry, Réjean & Traoré, Namatié, 2008. "Managing the protection of innovations in knowledge-intensive business services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1530-1547, October.
- Waring, Geoffrey F, 1996. "Industry Differences in the Persistence of Firm-Specific Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1253-1265, December.
- Onkvisit, Sak & Shaw, John J., 1989. "Service marketing: Image, branding, and competition," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 13-18.
- Christine Greenhalgh & Mark Rogers, 2006. "Trade Marks and Market Value in UK Firms," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2006n04, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-574, November.
- Malmberg, Claes, 2005. "Trademarks Statistics as Innovation Indicator? - A Micro Study," Papers in Innovation Studies 2005/17, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Franco Malerba & Luigi Orsenigo, 2002. "Innovation and market structure in the dynamics of the pharmaceutical industry and biotechnology: towards a history-friendly model," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 667-703, August.
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i:1:p:111-128 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christine Greenhalgh & Mark Rogers, 2006.
"Trade Marks and Performance in UK Firms: Evidence of Schumpeterian Competition through Innovation,"
06-034, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Christine Greenhalgh & Mark Rogers, 2007. "Trade Marks and Performance in UK Firms: Evidence of Schumpeterian Competition through Innovation," Economics Series Working Papers 300, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kortum, Samuel & Lerner, Josh, 1999. "What is behind the recent surge in patenting?1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Preston R. Fee & Hugo M. Mialon & Michael A. Williams, 2004. "What Is a Barrier to Entry?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 461-465, May.
- Audretsch, David B. & Bönte, Werner & Mahagaonkar, Prashanth, 2012. "Financial signaling by innovative nascent ventures: The relevance of patents and prototypes," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1407-1421.
- Davila, Antonio & Foster, George & Gupta, Mahendra, 2003. "Venture capital financing and the growth of startup firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 689-708, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
More about this item
Keywordscompetition; intellectual property; patents; trademarks; venture capital;
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- M00 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - General - - - General
- O34 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2014-01-17 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2013-04-13 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-ENT-2014-01-17 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2013-04-13 (Innovation)
- NEP-INO-2014-01-17 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2013-04-13 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-IPR-2014-01-17 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-SBM-2013-04-13 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-SBM-2014-01-17 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2013-04-13 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-TID-2014-01-17 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:eureri:39515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/erimanl.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.