The Role of the Local Business Environment in Banking Consolidation
We study whether local economic conditions in different areas have an impact on the magnitude and direction of the concentration process of a banking industry. By using probit and count data (ZIP) models to study the consolidation of the Italian banking sector in the second half of the 1990s, we document a significant direct impact of the local ‘business environment’ on the concentration of the industry at the regional level. This effect complements the well known indirect effect of macroeconomic characteristics on the profitability and efficiency of banks. We also show that institutional and organizational variables affect the likelihood and number of M&A deals, and help explaining differences in performance. Our results appear to be robust to different specifications, and to a number of robustness checks, including alternative sets of variables defining local ‘business environment conditions’.
|Length:||nn pages 28|
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.unicatt.it/Istituti/EconomiaFinanzaEmail: |
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sven-Olof Fridolfsson & Johan Stennek, 2005.
"Why Mergers Reduce Profits And Raise Share Prices-A Theory Of Preemptive Mergers,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(5), pages 1083-1104, 09.
- Sven-Olof Fridolfsson & Johan Stennek, 2001. "Why Mergers Reduce Profits and Raise Share Prices: A Theory of Preemptive Mergers," CIG Working Papers FS IV 01-26, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- FRIDOLFSSON, Sven-Olof & STENNEK, Johan, 1999. "Why mergers reduce profits, and raise share prices: A theory of preemptive mergers," Working Papers 1999018, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2004.
"Real effects of bank competition,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 543-562.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004.
"The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 526-556, June.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," CRSP working papers 511, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital In Financial Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2383, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," NBER Working Papers 7563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Knack, Stephen & Keefer, Philip, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-88, November.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2002.
"Does Local Financial Development Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-54, November.
- Fabio Panetta, 2003. "Evoluzione del sistema bancario e finanziamento dell' economia nel Mezzogiorno," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 56(222), pages 127-160.
- R.T.A. de Haas & I.P.P. van Lelyveld, 2003.
"Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
91, Netherlands Central Bank.
- R. T.A. de Haas & I. P.P van Lelyveld, 2004. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 3(2), pages 125-151, August.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2002. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," International Finance 0209002, EconWPA.
- Paldam, Martin, 2000. " Social Capital: One or Many? Definition and Measurement," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(5), pages 629-53, December.
- Focarelli, Dario & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2002. "Why Do Banks Merge?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 1047-66, November.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Phil & Wilson, John O S, 2004. "Dynamics of Growth and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 1069-90, December.
- Angelini, P. & Di Salvo, R. & Ferri, G., 1998. "Availability and cost of credit for small businesses: Customer relationships and credit cooperatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 925-954, August.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2005. "Financial and Legal Constraints to Growth: Does Firm Size Matter?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 137-177, 02.
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2003.
"Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis,"
Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers
esdp03009, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Dario Focarelli & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2005. "Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2435-2464, November.
- John Goddard & Phil Molyneux & John O. S. Wilson, 2004. "The profitability of european banks: a cross-sectional and dynamic panel analysis," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(3), pages 363-381, 06.
- Kumar, Krishna B & Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1999.
"What Determines Firm Size?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2211, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krishna B. Kumar & Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, . "What Determines Firm Size?," CRSP working papers 496, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Krishna B. Kumar & Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1999. "What Determines Firm Size?," NBER Working Papers 7208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1997.
"Bank consolidation and small business lending: it's not just bank size that matters,"
97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S., 1998. "Bank consolidation and small business lending: It's not just bank size that matters," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 799-819, August.
- Rasmusen, Eric, 1988. "Mutual Banks and Stock Banks," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(2), pages 395-421, October.
- Alessio De Vincenzo & Claudio Doria & Carmelo Salleo, 2005. "The Motivations for Bank Takeovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 64(4), pages 327-358, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctc:serie3:ief0076. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Massimo Bordignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.