Trust and Innovation in Europe: Causal, spatial and non-linear forces
This paper investigates the effect of trust on innovation. In addition to generalised trust we use a range of other indicators that could measure trust and investigate which trust related variables could explain innovation in 20 European countries divided into 135 regions. We specifically look at causal, non-linear and spatial forces. Our findings indicate that only generalised trust and non-egoistic fairness have robust effects on innovation in Europe. Using historical data on the extent and existence of universities and an instrumental variable strategy we set up a causal relationship between trust and innovation. Even after controlling for causal, spatial and non-linear forces there is a significant direct impact of trust on innovation.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ankara 06531|
Phone: +90 (312) 210 2003
Fax: (312) 210 1244
Web page: http://www.stps.metu.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoci Angelo & Sabatini Fabio & Sodini Mauro, 2010.
"The Solaria Syndrome: Social capital in a growing hypertechnological economy,"
0062, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sabatini, Fabio & Sodini, Mauro, 2012. "The Solaria syndrome: Social capital in a growing hyper-technological economy," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 802-814.
- Angelo Antoci & Fabio Sabatini & Mauro Sodini, 2010. "The Solaria Syndrome: Social Capital in a Growing Hyper-technological Economy," Department of Economics University of Siena 585, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Sabatini, Fabio & Antoci, Angelo & Sodini, Mauro, 2010. "The Solaria Syndrome: Social Capital in a Growing Hyper-technological Economy," AICCON Working Papers 71-2010, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Angelo Antoci & Fabio Sabatini & Mauro Sodini, 2010. "The Solaria Syndrome: Social Capital in a Growing Hyper-technological Economy," Working Papers 2010.100, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Antoci, Angelo & Sabatini, Fabio & Sodini, Mauro, 2010. "The Solaria Syndrome: Social Capital in a Growing Hyper-technological Economy," MPRA Paper 21023, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anneli Kaasa, 2007. "Effects Of Different Dimensions Of Social Capital On Innovation: Evidence From Europe At The Regional Level," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 51, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Laura Bottazzi & Giovanni Peri, "undated".
"Innovation and Spillovers in Regions: Evidence from European Patent Data,"
215, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Peri, Giovanni, 2003. "Innovation and spillovers in regions: Evidence from European patent data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 687-710, August.
- Sriya Iyer & Michael Kitson & Bernard Toh, 2005. "Social capital, economic growth and regional development," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1015-1040.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno & Manuel Artís, 2008.
"Does social capital reinforce technological inputs in the creation of knowledge? Evidence from the Spanish regions,"
IREA Working Papers
200813, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2008.
- Ernest Miguelez & Rosina Moreno & Manuel Artis, 2011. "Does Social Capital Reinforce Technological Inputs in the Creation of Knowledge? Evidence from the Spanish Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(8), pages 1019-1038.
- Danielson, Anders & Holm, Hakan J, 2003.
"Tropic Trust versus Nordic Trust: Experimental Evidence from Tanzania and Sweden,"
2003:6, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Håkan J. Holm & Anders Danielson, 2005. "Tropic Trust Versus Nordic Trust: Experimental Evidence From Tanzania And Sweden," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 505-532, 04.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2001.
"On the empirics of social capital,"
3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Juan Alcácer & Wilbur Chung, 2007. "Location Strategies and Knowledge Spillovers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 760-776, May.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000.
"The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
7563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 526-556, June.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital in Financial Development," CRSP working papers 511, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2000. "The Role of Social Capital In Financial Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 2383, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ahlerup, Pelle & Olsson, Ola & Yanagizawa, David, 2007. "Social Capital vs Institutions in the Growth Process," Working Papers in Economics 248, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Henri L.F. de Groot & Anton B.T.M. van Schaik, 2004. "Trust and economic growth: a robustness analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 118-134, January.
- Akcomak, Semih & Ter Weel, Bas, 2007. "How do social capital and government support affect innovation and growth? Evidence from the EU regional support programmes," MERIT Working Papers 009, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Robison, Lindon J. & Schmid, A. Allan & Siles, Marcelo E., 1999.
"Is Social Capital Really Capital?,"
11649, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Ton Van Schaik, 2005.
"Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1053-1064.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & van Schaik, A.B.T.M., 2005. "Differences in social capital between 54 western European regions," Other publications TiSEM 78302d91-740f-4f22-9fe6-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Soogwan Doh & Zoltan Acs, 2010.
"Innovation and Social Capital: A Cross-Country Investigation,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 241-262.
- Soogwan Doh & Zoltán J. Ács, 2015. "Innovation and Social Capital: A Cross-Country Investigation," Chapters, in: Global Entrepreneurship, Institutions and Incentives, chapter 23, pages 442-463 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Soogwan Doh & Zoltan J. Acs, 2009. "Innovation and Social Capital: A Cross-country Investigation," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-082, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Leamer, Edward E & Leonard, Herman B, 1983. "Reporting the Fragility of Regression Estimates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(2), pages 306-317, May.
- Carmen Echebarria & Jose M. Barrutia, 2013. "Limits of Social Capital as a Driver of Innovation: An Empirical Analysis in the Context of European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(7), pages 1001-1017, July.
- Ann Owen & Julio Videras, 2009. "Reconsidering social capital: a latent class approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 555-582, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David Laibson & Bruce Sacerdote, 2002. "An Economic Approach to Social Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 437-458, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:met:stpswp:1304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Semih Akcomak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.