The Economic Impact of European Integration
Economic integration, from the European Payments Union and the European Coal and Steel Community to the Common Market, the European Monetary System, the Single Market, and the euro, is one of the most visible, controversial and commented-upon aspects of Europe’s development since the end of World War II. It is hard to imagine that Europe’s economy would have developed the same way without it. Or is it? We see how far we can push the argument that European living standards, growth rates, and economic structure would have been little different in the absence of the institutions and processes that have culminated in today’s European Union. We adopt the methodology applied by Fogel to the railroads: suspecting that the results are small, wherever possible we adopt assumptions that bias upward the estimated impact. We conclude that European incomes would have been roughly 5 per cent lower today in the absence of the EU.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry J. Eichengreen, 1995.
"Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA,"
IMF Working Papers
95/109, International Monetary Fund.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1997. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," NBER Chapters, in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 141-168 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," CEPR Discussion Papers 1294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence From the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," NBER Working Papers 5283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 2003.
"Banks and Markets: the Changing Character of European Finance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3865, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Zingales & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003. "Banks and Markets: The Changing Character of European Finance," NBER Working Papers 9595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sapir, Andre, 1992.
"Regional Integration in Europe,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1491-506, November.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha, 1995.
"Growth Effects of European Integration,"
Working Paper Series
439, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Rasha, 1996. "Growth Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magnus Henrekson & Johan Torstensson & Rasha Torstensson,, . "Growth Effects of European Integration," Discussion Papers 96/1, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Merton J. Peck, 1989. "Industrial Organization and the Gains from Europe 1992," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(2), pages 277-300.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Thierry Tressel, 2002. "Productivity and Convergence in a Panel of OECD Industries: Do Regulations and Institutions Matter?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 342, OECD Publishing.
- Harald Badinger, 2005. "Growth Effects of Economic Integration: Evidence from the EU Member States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 50-78, April.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-46, August.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1984.
"The Lucas Critique and the Volcker Deflation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 211-15, May.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2006. "The euro’s trade effects," Working Paper Series 0594, European Central Bank.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "The Growth Effects of 1992," NBER Working Papers 3119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2005. "Regulation and Economic Performance: Product Market Reforms and Productivity in the OECD," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 460, OECD Publishing.
- Andrew K. Rose & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "National Money as a Barrier to International Trade: The Real Case for Currency Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 386-390, May.
- Paul Conway & Véronique Janod & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2005. "Product Market Regulation in OECD Countries: 1998 to 2003," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 419, OECD Publishing.
- Oecd, 2002. "Product Market Competition and Economic Performance," OECD Journal: Competition Law and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 4(4), pages 25-34.
- Michael Hu & Christine Jiang & Christos Tsoukalas, 2004. "The volatility impact of the European monetary system on member and non-member currencies," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 313-325.
- Petith, Howard C, 1977. "European Integration and the Terms of Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 262-72, June.
- William H. Buiter & Marcus Miller, 1981. "The Thatcher Experiment: The First Two Years," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(2), pages 315-380.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.