Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows
How internationally mobile is the world's supply of capital? Does capital flow among industrial countries to equalize the yield to investors? Alternatively, does the saving that originates in a country remain 'to be invested there? Or does the truth lie somewhere between these two extremes? The answers to these questions are not only important for understanding the international capital market but are also critical for analyzing a wide range of issues including the nation's optimal rate of saving and the incidence of tax changes.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1979|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Feldstein, Martin and Horioka, Charles. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows." The Economic Journal, Vol. 90, (June 1980), pp. 314-329.|
|Note:||PE ITI IFM|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Levich, Richard M, 1977. "Transaction Costs and Interest Arbitrage: Tranquil versus Turbulent Periods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1209-26, December.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1980.
"International differences in social security and saving,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 225-244, October.
- Martin Feldstein, 1980. "International differences in social security and saving," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 225-244 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1979. "International Differences in Social Security and Saving," NBER Working Papers 0355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1974. "Incidence of a Capital Income Tax in a Growing Economy with Variable Savings Rates," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 505-13, October.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.