The Growth Effects of 1992
This paper demonstrates that several types of dynamic trade effects can be easily quantified, at least roughly. These dynamic effects on output are found to be much larger than the static effects measured by existing empirical studies of trade liberalizations. The paper exposits and measures the Ricardian dynamic trade effect (the link between trade and steady-state level of productive factors). It also exposits and measures the Grossman-Helpman dynamic trade effect (the link between trade and the steady-state rate of accumulation of productive factors) by calibrating two of the "new" growth theory models.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Economic Policy, No. 9, pp. 1-42, (1989).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1988.
"Comparative Advantage And Long-Run Growth,"
39-88, Tel Aviv.
- Paul M. Romer, 1987. "Crazy Explanations for the Productivity Slowdown," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1987, Volume 2, pages 163-210 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1989.
"Income Distribution, Market Size, and Industrialization,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(3), pages 537-64, August.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1988. "Income Distribution, Market Size, and Industrialization," NBER Working Papers 2709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches, 1987.
"Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Markets Valuation of R&D and Patents,"
NBER Working Papers
2465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cockburn, Iain & Griliches, Zvi, 1988. "Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Market's Valuation of R&D and Patents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 419-23, May.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1986. "Market Access and International Competition: A Simulation Study of 16K Random Access Memories," NBER Working Papers 1936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard, 1990.
"Measurable Dynamic Gains from Trade,"
Working Paper Series
270, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 1986.
3451303, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Richard K. Lyons, 1989.
"The Role of External Economies in U.S. Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
3033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, R.J. & Lyons, R.K., 1989. "The Role Of External Economies In U.S. Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 1989_14, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.