Market Access and International Competition: A Simulation Study of 16K Random Access Memories
This paper develops a model of international competition in an oligopoly characterized by strong learning effects. The model is quantified by calibrating its parameters to reproduce the US-Japanese rivalry in 16K R.A.Ms from 1978-1983. We then ask the following question: how much did the apparent closure of the Japanese market to imports affect Japan's export performance? A simulation analysis suggests that a protected home market was a crucial advantage to Japanese firms, which would otherwise have been uncompetitive both at home and abroad. We find, however, that Japan's home market protection nonetheless produced more costs than benefits for Japan.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as in Empirical Methods for International Trade, (ed)R. Feenstra. MIT Press, 1987.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980.
"A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade,"
405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," Working Papers 513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1983. "Learning-by-Doing and Market Performance," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 522-530, Autumn.
- A. M. Spence, 1981. "The Learning Curve and Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 49-70, Spring.
- James Brander, 1980.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities,"
380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.