Temporary Protection and Technology Choice Under the Learning Curve
This paper examines the effects of temporary protection in a model of Cournot competition under the learning curve. We show that when the protected firm can choose among multiple technologies subject to different scopes for learning, protection may hurt the long-run competitiveness of the firm by inducing it to choose a technology with little scope for learning. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2005..
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.aspEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miyagiwa, K. & Ohno, Y., 1993.
"Closing the Technology Gap Under Protection,"
93-09, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Miyagiwa, K. & Ohno, Y., 1993. "Closing the Technology Gap Under Protection," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 93-09, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980.
"A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade,"
405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," Working Papers 513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Yaw Nyarko, 1994.
"Learning By Doing and the Choice of Technology,"
NBER Working Papers
4739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kala Krishna, 1985.
"Trade Restrictions as Facilitating Practices,"
NBER Working Papers
1546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. M. Spence, 1981. "The Learning Curve and Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 49-70, Spring.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1988.
"Learning-by-Doing, Market Structure and Industrial and Trade Policies,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 246-68, June.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1985. "Learning-by-doing, Market Structure and Industrial and Trade Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 80, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Parente Stephen L., 1994. "Technology Adoption, Learning-by-Doing, and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 346-369, August.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1969. "The Case against Infant-Industry Tariff Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(3), pages 295-305, May/June.
- Young, Alwyn, 1993. "Invention and Bounded Learning by Doing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 443-72, June.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz & Ohno, Yuka, 1999. "Credibility of Protection and Incentives to Innovate," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 143-63, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:0248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.