German Trade Unions After Unification: Third Degree Wage Discriminating Monopolists?
After unification, real wages in Eastern Germany rose rapidly relative to labour productivity despite high and rising levels of unemployment. This substantial increase in wage levels relative to those in Western Germany is difficult to explain without recourse to models of union behaviour or collective bargaining. This paper applies and extends such models and evaluates plausible explanations for recent short-run wage developments in the ex-GDR.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1991. "Macroeconomic Aspects of German Unification," NBER Working Papers 3596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-283.
- Burda, Michael C, 1991. "Labor and Product Markets in Czechoslovakia and the ex-GDR: A Twin Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 548, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Colin Lawrence & Robert Z. Lawrence, 1985. "Manufacturing Wage Dispersion: An End Game Interpretation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 16(1), pages 47-116.
- Siebert, Horst, 1992.
"Real adjustment in the transformation process: Risk factors in East Germany,"
Kiel Working Papers
507, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Siebert, Horst, 1992. "Real adjustment in the transformation process: risk factors in East Germany," Kiel Working Papers 507, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Siebert, Horst, 1992. "Real adjustment in the transformation process: Risk factors in East Germany," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1915, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Wolfgang Scheremet, 1992. "Der Arbeitsmarkt in Deutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 59(28/29), pages 355-363.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "The Microeconomic Theory of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 576-95, September.
- Wolfgang Scheremet, 1992. "Der Arbeitsmarkt in Deutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 59(5/6), pages 49-57.
- Phlips,Louis, 1983. "The Economics of Price Discrimination," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521283946, Junio.
- Maria Paz Espinosa & Changyong Rhee, 1989. "Efficient Wage Bargaining as a Repeated Game," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(3), pages 565-588.
- Sinn, Gerlinde & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1992. "Kaltstart. Volkswirtschaftliche Aspekte der Deutschen Vereinigung," Monograph, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 2, number urn:isbn:9783161459429, May.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1987. "Union activity, unemployment persistence and wage-employment ratchets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 157-167.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen, 1986. "Unemployment in Britain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S121-69, Supplemen.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Carruth, Alan A & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "On Union Preferences and Labour Market Models: Insiders and Outsi ders," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(386), pages 431-45, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:573. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.