German Trade Unions After Unification: Third Degree Wage Discriminating Monopolists?
After unification, real wages in Eastern Germany rose rapidly relative to labour productivity despite high and rising levels of unemployment. This substantial increase in wage levels relative to those in Western Germany is difficult to explain without recourse to models of union behaviour or collective bargaining. This paper applies and extends such models and evaluates plausible explanations for recent short-run wage developments in the ex-GDR.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carruth, Alan A & Oswald, Andrew J, 1987. "On Union Preferences and Labour Market Models: Insiders and Outsi ders," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(386), pages 431-45, June.
- Paz Espinosa, Maria & Rhee, Changyong, 1989. "Efficient Wage Bargaining as a Repeated Game," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(3), pages 565-88, August.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Burda, Michael C, 1991. "Labor and Product Markets in Czechoslovakia and the ex-GDR: A Twin Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 548, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Akerlof, George A & Yellen, Janet L, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-83, May.
- Siebert, Horst, 1992. "Real adjustment in the transformation process: risk factors in East Germany," Kiel Working Papers 507, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen, 1986. "Unemployment in Britain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S121-69, Supplemen.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "The Microeconomic Theory of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 576-95, September.
- Colin Lawrence & Robert Z. Lawrence, 1985. "Manufacturing Wage Dispersion: An End Game Interpretation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 16(1), pages 47-116.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1991. "Macroeconomic Aspects of German Unification," NBER Working Papers 3596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang Scheremet, 1992. "Der Arbeitsmarkt in Deutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 59(28/29), pages 355-363.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521283946 is not listed on IDEAS
- Siebert, Horst, 1992. "Real adjustment in the transformation process: Risk factors in East Germany," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1915, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1987. "Union activity, unemployment persistence and wage-employment ratchets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 157-167.
- Wolfgang Scheremet, 1992. "Der Arbeitsmarkt in Deutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 59(5/6), pages 49-57.
- Sinn, Gerlinde & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1992. "Kaltstart. Volkswirtschaftliche Aspekte der Deutschen Vereinigung," Monograph, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 2, number urn:isbn:9783161459429, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:573. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.