European Economic Integration and the Effectiveness of Employment Policies
This paper examines the qualitative impact and the degree of effectiveness of several labor market policies when domestic unionâ€™s wage response and economic integration are explicitly taken into account. The employment policies considered include payroll tax cuts, unemployment benefits cuts, aggregate demand expansion and wage subsidies. It is shown that with endogenous wages and an open economy, these policies can in some cases become more potent. But in other instances, they become less effective. In fact, under some conditions derived in this paper, employment policies can even be counterproductive, leading to a drop in domestic employment.
|Date of creation:||20 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Santa Cruz, CA 95064|
Phone: (831) 459-2743
Fax: (831) 459-5077
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucscecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1998.
"The causes and consequences of long-term unemployment in Europe,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20255, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1999. "The causes and consequences of longterm unemployment in Europe," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 47, pages 3085-3139 Elsevier.
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1998. "The Causes and Consequences of Long-Term Unemployment in Europe," CEP Discussion Papers dp0400, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert M. Coen & Bert G. Hickman, 1987. "Keynesian and Classical Unemployment in Four Countries," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 123-206.
- Lindbeck, A. & Snower, D.J., 1989.
"Demand- And Supply-Side Policies And Unemployment: Policy Implications Of The Insider-Outside Approach,"
439, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 1990. " Demand- and Supply-Side Policies and Unemployment: Policy Implications of the Insider-Outsider Approach," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 279-305.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1989. "Demand- and Supply-Side Policies and Unemployment: Policy Implications of the Insider-Outsider Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Siebert, Horst, 1997.
"Labor market rigidities and unemployment in Europe,"
Kiel Working Papers
787, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Siebert, Horst, 1997. "Labor market rigidities and unemployment in Europe," Kiel Working Papers 787, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Horst Siebert, 1997. "Labor Market Rigidities: At the Root of Unemployment in Europe," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 37-54, Summer.
- Fung, K. C. & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Economic Integration and Firm-Union Interaction: The Role of Market Structure," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 554-571.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Fung, K. C., 1989. "Profit-sharing and European unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1787-1798, December.
- Oswald, Andrew J., 1993.
"Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve : Theory and facts,"
Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 85-113, June.
- Oswald, A. J., 1995. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve: Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 102-102, March.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "The Microeconomic Theory of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 576-95, September.
- Stanley Fischer, 1986. "NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1986, Volume 1," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number fisc86-1.
- Minford, Patrick, 1983. "Labour Market Equilibrium in an Open Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(0), pages 207-44, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucscec:qt0tp8k3c5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.