Credit Pro-cyclicality and Bank Balance Sheet in Colombia
The recent financial crisis has renewed the interest of economists, both at the theoretical and empirical level, in developing a better understanding of credit and its mechanisms. A rapidly growing strand of the literature views banks as facing funding restrictions that condition their borrowing to a risk-based capital constraint which, in turn, affects bank lending. This work explores the way banks in Colombia manage their balance sheet and sheds light into the dynamics of credit and leverage during the business cycle. Using a sample of monthly bank balance sheets for the period 1994-2012, we find not only that the Colombian banking sector is predominantly pro-cyclical, but also that the composition of bank liabilities provides important information to policy makers regarding the phase of the cycle of the economy. Shifts from low non-core liability ratios to higher ones during the upward phase of the leverage cycle could play the role of an early warning indicator of financial vulnerability. In addition, we find that bank heterogeneity matters and thus, an aggregate measure of bank leverage can mask successfully a fragile financial sector.
|Date of creation:||07 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JosÃ© E. GÃ³mez-Gonzalez & Nicholas M. Kiefer, 2009.
"Bank Failure: Evidence From The Colombian Financial Crisis,"
The International Journal of Business and Finance Research,
The Institute for Business and Finance Research, vol. 3(2), pages 15-31.
- Gomez-Gonzalez, Jose E. & Kiefer, Nicholas M., 2006. "Bank Failure: Evidence from the Colombia Financial Crisis," Working Papers 06-12, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Adrian, Tobias & Shin, Hyun Song, 2010.
"Liquidity and leverage,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 418-437, July.
- Adrian, Tobias & Boyarchenko, Nina, 2012.
"Intermediary leverage cycles and financial stability,"
567, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Feb 2015.
- Tobias Adrian & Nina Boyarchenko, 2012. "Intermediary Leverage Cycles and Financial Stability," Working Papers 2012-010, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Alexander Guarín & Andrés González & Daphné Skandalis & Daniela Sánchez, 2014.
"An Early Warning Model for Predicting Credit Booms Using Macroeconomic Aggregates,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 32(73), pages 77-86, July.
- Alexander Guarín & Andrés González & Daphné Skandalis & Daniela Sánchez, 2014. "An Early Warning Model for Predicting Credit Booms Using Macroeconomic Aggregates," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 32(73), pages 77-86.
- Alexander Guarín & Andrés González & Daphné Skandalis & Daniela Sánchez, 2012. "An Early Warning Model for Predicting Credit Booms using Macroeconomic Aggregates," Borradores de Economia 723, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Alexander Guarín & Andrés González & Daphné Skandalis & Daniela Sánchez, 2012. "An Early Warning Model for Predicting Credit Booms using Macroeconomic Aggregates," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009826, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Damar, H. Evren & Meh, Césaire A. & Terajima, Yaz, 2013.
"Leverage, balance-sheet size and wholesale funding,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 639-662.
- H. Evren Damar & Césaire A. Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2010. "Leverage, Balance Sheet Size and Wholesale Funding," Staff Working Papers 10-39, Bank of Canada.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2011.
"Financial intermediary balance sheet management,"
532, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 2004.
"A New Measure of Monetary Shocks: Derivation and Implications,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1055-1084, September.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 2003. "A New Measure of Monetary Shocks: Derivation and Implications," NBER Working Papers 9866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herman Kamil & Jose David Pulido & Jose Luis Torres, .
"El "IMACO": un índice mensual líder de la actividad económica en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
609, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Herman Kamil & José David Pulido & José Luis Torres, 2010. "El IMACO": un índice mensual líder de la actividad económica en Colombia"," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007129, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- David Aikman & Andrew G. Haldane & Benjamin D. Nelson, 2015. "Curbing the Credit Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 125(585), pages 1072-1109, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:010695. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.