The spatial structure of the financial development in Brazil
This paper explores the financial development in Brazil. It focuses on the impacts of the development level of a municipality’s financial system over its neighborhood, under the light of the Central Place Theory. Using a GMM estimator for a spatial panel model with an endogenous spatial lag and spatial moving average errors we investigate the spatial structure of the financial system in Brazil. The results point to a negative spatial association between the Brazilian municipalities’ financial system, in the way that a municipality with more developed financial system tends to be surrounded by municipalities with less developed financial systems.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +55 31 3201-3657
Web page: http://www.cedeplar.ufmg.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Robert De Young, 2001.
"The effects of geographic expansion on bank efficiency,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-03, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen Berger & Robert DeYoung, 2001. "The Effects of Geographic Expansion on Bank Efficiency," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 163-184, April.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 2000. "The effects of geographic expansion on bank efficiency," Working Paper Series WP-00-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Yeager, Timothy J., 2004. "The demise of community banks? Local economic shocks are not to blame," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2135-2153, September.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Banks, Distances and Firms' Financing Constraints," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 261-307.
- S. Usai & M. Vannini, 2004.
"Banking structure and Regional Economic Growth: lessons from Italy,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200417, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Stefano Usai & Marco Vannini, 2005. "Banking structure and regional economic growth: lessons from Italy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 691-714, December.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2010.
"Bank size or distance: what hampers innovation adoption by SMEs?,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 845-881, November.
- Pietro ALESSANDRINI & Andrea PRESBITERO & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2007. "Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs ?," Working Papers 304, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2008. "Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 2, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Acharya, Viral V & Hasan, Iftekhar & Saunders, Anthony, 2002.
"The Effects of Focus and Diversification on Bank Risk and Return: Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3252, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders, 2002. "The effects of focus and diversification on bank risk and return: evidence from individual bank loan portfolios," Proceedings 905, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- Marco Crocco, 2000.
"The concept of degrees of uncertainty in Keynes, Shackle and Davidson,"
Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG
td147, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Marco Crocco, 2002. "The concept of degrees of uncertainty in Keynes, Shackle, and Davidson," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 12(2), pages 11-28, July-Dece.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2008. "A Generalized Method of Moments Estimator for a Spatial Panel Model with an Endogenous Spatial Lag and Spatial Moving Average Errors," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 27-44.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Kwangwoo Park & George Pennacchi, 2009.
"Harming Depositors and Helping Borrowers: The Disparate Impact of Bank Consolidation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 1-40, January.
- Kwangwoo Park & George Pennacchi, 2007. "Harming depositors and helping borrowers: the disparate impact of bank consolidation," Working Paper 0704, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Britta Klagge & Ron Martin, 2005. "Decentralized versus centralized financial systems: is there a case for local capital markets?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 387-421, August.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- William Emmons & R. Gilbert & Timothy Yeager, 2004. "Reducing the Risk at Small Community Banks: Is it Size or Geographic Diversification that Matters?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 259-281, April.
- Suheyla Ozyildirim & Zeynep Onder, 2008. "Banking Activities and Local Output Growth: Does Distance from Centre Matter?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 229-244.
- Fingleton, Bernard, 2008. "Competing models of global dynamics: Evidence from panel models with spatially correlated error components," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 542-558, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdp:texdis:td361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Britto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.