Regional economic conditions and the variability of rates of return in commercial banking
We develop new techniques to assess the relationship between commercial bank performance and the economic conditions in the markets in which they operate. In the analysis, we allow for heterogeneity in the responses of banks to regional economic conditions. We find a statistically significant relationship between bank performance and shocks to the regional markets in which they operate. We find that region-specific shocks have a significant and persistent effect on the cross-sectional variance of bank performance in the market. That is, shocks affecting average performance of banks in a region also tend to increase the dispersion of their performance. We demonstrate that this effect is due to heterogeneity in the banks' exposures to their regional economies. Moreover, by allowing for this heterogeneity, we find that systematic responses to regional economic effects are notably more important in explaining the variation in bank performance than suggested by analysis in which responses are constrain to be the same for all banks.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald Morgan & Bertrand Rime & Philip E. Strahan, 2004.
"Bank Integration and State Business Cycles,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(4), pages 1555-1584, November.
- Donald Morgan & Bertrand Rime & Philip Strahan, 2003. "Bank Integration and State Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 9704, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morgan, Donald & Rime, Bertrand & Strahan, Philip E., 2004. "Bank Integration and State Business Cycles," SIFR Research Report Series 30, Institute for Financial Research.
- Frederick Furlong, 2004. "Comment on Emmons, Gilbert, and Yeager," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 283-289, April.
- Yeager, Timothy J., 2004. "The demise of community banks? Local economic shocks are not to blame," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2135-2153, September.
- Andrew P. Meyer & Timothy J. Yeager, 2001. "Are small rural banks vulnerable to local economic downturns?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 25-38.
- Michelle Clark Neely & David C. Wheelock, 1997. "Why does bank performance vary across states?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 27-40.
- Andew Cohen & Michael Mazzeo, 2004. "Market structure and competition among retail depository institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfwp:2007-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.