Why does bank performance vary across states?
Since 1980, commercial bank earnings have varied widely across states. The authors find that much of this variation can be attributed to difference in economic conditions, and they suggest that interstate branching should promote a more stable banking system by enabling greater geographic diversification of bank operations. Differences in state banking laws and the presence of money centers in certain states, however, have caused bank earnings to vary from state to state and will continue to do so.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Mar ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter S. Rose, 1995. "Diversification and interstate banking," Proceedings 461, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1994. "Bank Real Estate Lending and the New England Capital Crunch," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 22(1), pages 33-58.
- R. Alton Gilbert, 1991. "Do bank holding companies act as "sources of strength" for their bank subsidiaries?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 3-18.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Thomas B. Mandelbaum, 1988. "Why have state per capita incomes diverged recently?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 24-36.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Saunders, Anthony, 1990.
"Additions to bank loan-loss reserves : Good news or bad news?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 289-304, March.
- Theoharry Grammatikos & Anthony Saunders, 1988. "Additions to bank loan-loss reserves: good news or bad news?," Working Papers 89-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Kenneth Spong, 2000.
"Banking regulation : its purposes, implementation, and effects,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 2000bria.
- Kenneth Spong, 1994. "Banking regulation : its purpose, implementation, and effects," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 1994bria.
- Katherine A. Samolyk, 1994. "U.S. banking sector trends: assessing disparities in industry performance," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 2-17.
- Walker F. Todd, 1988. "Developing country lending and current banking conditions," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q II, pages 27-36.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:1997:i:mar:p:27-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.