The concept of degrees of uncertainty in Keynes, Shackle, and Davidson
The aim of this piece is to discuss in what extent one can find - in the works of Shackle and Davidson - an understanding of uncertainty capable of both comprehend the concept of probable knowledge and admit the existence of degrees of 'true uncertainty'. Sharing the opinion of other scholars (Runde, 1990; Dow, 1995, and Dequech, 1997), we think that it is possible to find this definition of uncertainty in Keynes's works, and so make a point to the understanding of uncertainty as a concept feasible to be graded. Moreover, we claim that this concept is not incompatible with the understanding of the social reality as a nonergodic process. To sustain this claim, we will discuss Davidson's and Shackle's views and show that in their writings there are some elements that support our main point.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (July-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +55 31 3409-7000
Web page: http://www.face.ufmg.br/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 - Predio da FACE Belo Horizonte, 31270-901 Brazil|
Web: http://www.face.ufmg.br/novaeconomia/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993.
"Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Paul Davidson, 1987. "Sensible Expectations and the Long-Run Non-Neutrality of Money," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 10(1), pages 146-153, October.
- Lawson, Tony, 1987. "The Relative/Absolute Nature of Knowledge and Economic Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 951-70, December.
- Runde, Jochen, 1990. "Keynesian Uncertainty and the Weight of Arguments," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 275-292, October.
- Lawson, Tony, 1985. "Uncertainty and Economic Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380), pages 909-27, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nov:artigo:v:12:y:2002:i:2:p:11-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sibelle Diniz)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Sibelle Diniz to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.