National innovation system, competitiveness and economic growth
Differences in income-elasticities of imports and exports among countries bring about distinct degrees of external constraints to growth. This argument has been pointed out by Prebisch and by authors in the Kaldorian tradition. Prebisch’s explanations for this phenomenon relate to the differences in international insertion between agrarian / peripheral and industrial / central economies. Kaldorian authors, in turn, refer to Prebisch only to explain why such elasticities differ between products and between countries. However, even after undergoing industrialization processes, several economies still face external constraints to growth. The aim of this paper is to explain differences in trade elasticities among industrial economies. Therefore, it intends to demonstrate, by using the Neo-Schumpeterian literature, the causal relations between the development of a National Innovation System, the differences in income-elasticities of imports and exports, the degree of competitiveness and the degree of external vulnerability of an economy.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Fax: +55 31 3201-3657
Web page: http://www.cedeplar.ufmg.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Institutions and Markets in a Dynamic World," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 56(2), pages 119-146, June.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-1175, September.
- Bernardes, Americo Tristao & Albuquerque, Eduardo da Motta e, 2003. "Cross-over, thresholds, and interactions between science and technology: lessons for less-developed countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 865-885, May.
- Holland, Márcio & Vieira, Fabrício de Assis C., 2008.
"Crescimento econômico secular no Brasil, modelo de Thirlwall e termos de troca,"
Revista Economia e Sociedade,
Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), vol. 33, pages 1-30, August.
- Fabrício de Assis C. Vieira & Márcio Holland, 2006. "Crescimento Econômico Secular No Brasil, Modelo De Thirlwall E Termos De Troca," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 167, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Vieira, Fabrício de Assis C. & Brito, Márcio Holland de, 2010. "Crescimento econômico secular no Brasil, modelo de thirlwall e termos de troca," Textos para discussão 206, FGV/EESP - Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Marco Crocco, 2002. "The concept of degrees of uncertainty in Keynes, Shackle, and Davidson," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 12(2), pages 11-28, July-Dece.
- Marco Crocco, 2000. "The concept of degrees of uncertainty in Keynes, Shackle and Davidson," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td147, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Oliveira, Francisco H.P. & Jayme, Frederico Jr. & Lemos, Mauro B., 2006. "Increasing returns to scale and international diffusion of technology: An empirical study for Brazil (1976-2000)," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 75-88, January.
- Francisco Horácio P. Oliveira & Frederico G. Jayme Jr. & Mauro B. Lemos, 2003. "Increasing returns to scale and international diffusion of technology: an empirical study for Brazil (1976-2000)," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td211, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- J.S.L. McCombie & Mark Roberts, 2002. "The Role of the Balance of Payments in Economic Growth," Chapters,in: The Economics of Demand-Led Growth, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdp:texdis:td325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Britto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.