A structuralist North-South model on structural change, economic growth and catching-up
This paper presents a structuralist North-South model on structural change, industrialization and economic convergence. In a balance-of-payments-constrained macro-setting, we assume a cumulative process between industrialization and growth. Differently from the traditional post-Keynesian models, we endogenize the productive structure of developing countries. We enquire how industrialization affects uneven development and convergence processes. Multiple growth paths and a long-run path-dependent equilibrium emerge. Industrialization proves to be a necessary but not sufficient condition for catching-up. Good management by the domestic institutions of domestic industrialization is a complementary requirement.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1988. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Rowthorn & Ramana Ramaswamy, 1999. "Growth, Trade, and Deindustrialization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(1), pages 2.
- Nelson Henrique Barbosa Filho, 2003.
"Growth, Exchange Rates and Trade in Brazil: a Structuralist Post Keynesian Approach,"
Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
c42, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Nelson H. Barbosa Filho, 2004. "Growth, exchange rates and trade in Brazil: a structuralist post-Keynesian approach," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 14(2), pages 59-86, May-Augus.
- Freeman, Chris, 2002. "Continental, national and sub-national innovation systems--complementarity and economic growth," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 191-211, February.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004.
"A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo),"
SPRU Working Paper Series
111, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Coco, Alberto, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 629-654, April.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," CEIS Research Paper 44, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1990.
"Trade and Uneven Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, Lance, 1998. "Capital Market Crises: Liberalisation, Fixed Exchange Rates and Market-Driven Destabilisation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 663-76, November.
- Targetti, Ferdinando & Foti, Alessandro, 1997. "Growth and Productivity: A Model of Cumulative Growth and Catching Up," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 27-43, January.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Imbs, Jean, 2000.
"Stages of Diversification,"
1653, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1990.
"Increasing Returns, Industrialization and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium,"
878, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1991. "Increasing Returns, Industrialization, and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 617-50, May.
- Fulvio Castellacci, 2002. "Technology Gap and Cumulative Growth: Models and outcomes," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 333-346.
- Patrick Llerena & André Lorentz, 2004. "Cumulative Causation and Evolutionary Micro-Founded Technical Change. On the Determinants of Growth rate Differences," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(6), pages 1191-1214.
- Bruce Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2006. "Helping Infant Economies Grow: Foundations of Trade Policies for Developing Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 141-146, May.
- Meliciani, Valentina, 2002. "The impact of technological specialisation on national performance in a balance-of-payments-constrained growth model," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-118, March.
- Miguel A. LeÛn-Ledesma, 2002.
"Accumulation, innovation and catching-up: an extended cumulative growth model,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 201-216, March.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma, 1999. "Accumulation, Innovation and Catching-Up: An Extended Cumulative Growth Model," Studies in Economics 9906, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Krugman, Paul, 1981. "Trade, accumulation, and uneven development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 149-161, April.
- J.S.L. McCombie & Mark Roberts, 2002. "The Role of the Balance of Payments in Economic Growth," Chapters, in: The Economics of Demand-Led Growth, chapter 6 Edward Elgar.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- Amable, Bruno, 2000. "International specialisation and growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 413-431, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:streco:v:20:y:2009:i:1:p:61-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.