Growth cycles in Latin America and developed countries
The Minskyan approach to financial instability and its effects on the real economy have recently been revived in order to explain the exchange rate crises undergone by the so-called emergent economies. Economies of this type are characterized by repeated scarcity of foreign currency, which can be explained by using Neo-Schumpeterian theory. Based on the Minskyan approach and on the Neo-Schumpeterian literature, this study seeks to demonstrate that there is a cyclic recurrence of exchange rate crises in Latin-American (peripheral) economies. By using data on international liquidity, the balance of payments and the increase in production in the G7 economies and in thirteen Latin-American economies, it was found that the Latin-American economies mirror the cycles of international liquidity.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +55 31 3201-3657
Web page: http://www.cedeplar.ufmg.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julio López G. & Alberto Cruz B., 2000. ""Thirlwall's Law" and beyond: The Latin American Experience," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 22(3), pages 477-495, April.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- repec:fgv:epgrbe:v:50:n:2:a:4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernardes, Americo Tristao & Albuquerque, Eduardo da Motta e, 2003. "Cross-over, thresholds, and interactions between science and technology: lessons for less-developed countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 865-885, May.
- Frederico Gonzaga Jayme Junior, 2001. "Balance-of-payments constrained economic growth in Brazil," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td155, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Marco Flávio da Cunha Resende & Adriana Amado, 2004.
"Liquidez internacional e ciclo reflexo: algumas observações para a América Latina,"
Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG
td245, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Adriana Moreira Amado & Marco Flávio da Cunha Resende, 2005. "Liquidez Internacional E Ciclo Reflexo: Algumas Observações Para A América Latina," Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 070, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Ffrench-Davis, Ricardo, 2002. "Financial Crises and National Policy Issues: An Overview," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Taylor, Lance & O'Connell, Stephen A, 1985. "A Minsky Crisis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 871-85, Supp..
- Basil J. Moore, 1989. "A Simple Model of Bank Intermediation," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 12(1), pages 10-28, October.
- Marco Crocco, 2002.
"The concept of degrees of uncertainty in Keynes, Shackle, and Davidson,"
Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 12(2), pages 11-28, July-Dece.
- Marco Crocco, 2000. "The concept of degrees of uncertainty in Keynes, Shackle and Davidson," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td147, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Philip Arestis, 2002. "Financial crisis in Southeast Asia: dispelling illusion the Minskyan way," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 237-260, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdp:texdis:td327. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Britto)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Britto to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.