Balance-Of-Payments Constrained Growth: a Post-Keynesian Model with Capital Inflows
This paper proposes a brief theoretical analysis of the relationship between international capital mobility and economic growth, seen in the perspective of demand-led growth. The work comprises four sections, besides the introduction. First of all, we briefly present the central propositions that constitute the so-called demand-led growth perspective. We then review the balance-of-payments constrained growth model, as originally proposed by Thirlwall (1979), as well as subsequent efforts to incorporate capital flows into this analytical framework. Building on this theoretical structure, a model is proposed in order to study the connections between balance-of-payments constrained growth and capital controls, which is formally introduced as a macroeconomic policy variable. In the last section, we present the final remarks on this model.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universidade Federal de Goias UFG - Campus Samambaia (Campus II) Rodovia Goiania/Nova Veneza, Km 0 CEP 74690-900, Goiania, Brasil|
Web page: http://www.face.ufg.br/economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thirlwall, Anthony P & Hussain, Mohammed Nureldin, 1982. "The Balance of Payments Constraint, Capital Flows and Growth Rate Differences between Developing Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 498-510, November.
- Miguel A. LeÛn-Ledesma & A. P. Thirlwall, 2002.
"The endogeneity of the natural rate of growth,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 26(4), pages 441-459, July.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma & A. P. Thirlwall, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Natural Rate of Growth," Studies in Economics 9821, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Dixon, R & Thirlwall, A P, 1975. "A Model of Regional Growth-Rate Differences on Kaldorian Lines," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 201-214, July.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview," Studies in Economics 1111, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2002. "The Nature of Economic Growth," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2579.
- Frederico Gonzaga Jayme Junior, 2001. "Balance-of-payments constrained economic growth in Brazil," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td155, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ufb:wpaper:026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandro E. Monsueto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.