A Macrodynamics Of Debt Regimes, Financial Instability And Growth
It is developed a dynamic macromodel of utilization and growth of productive capacity, in which the supply of credit-money is endogenous and firms' debt position - and thus the financial fragility of the economy à la Hyman Minsky - is explicitly modeled. The rate of interest is set as a markup over the base rate, which is exogenously determined by the monetary authority. Banking markup varies with changes in economic activity, which is measured by capacity utilization, while firms' debt position varies with the rates of interest, profit and capital accumulation. Regarding dynamics, it is shown the possibility of relating the stability properties of a system with the interest rate and the debt ratio as state variables to the type of minskyan regime - hedge, speculative, Ponzi - which prevails.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 55 21 2709 7154
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarsila Segalla Afanasieff & Priscilla Maria Villa Lhacer & Márcio I. Nakane, 2002. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Spread in Brazil," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 183-207, July-Dece.
- Philip Arestis, 2002. "Financial crisis in Southeast Asia: dispelling illusion the Minskyan way," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 237-260, March.
- Brock, Philip L. & Rojas Suarez, Liliana, 2000. "Understanding the behavior of bank spreads in Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-134, October.
- Carl Chiarella & Peter Flaschel & Willi Semmler, 2001.
"The macrodynamics of debt deflation,"
in: Financial Fragility and Investment in the Capitalist Economy, chapter 7
- Carl Chiarella & Peter Flaschel & Willi Semmler, 1999. "The Macrodynamics of Debt Deflation," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 1999-04, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2000.
"Market concentration and technological innovation in a dynamic model of growth and distribution,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(215), pages 447-475.
- Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2000. "Market concentration and technological innovation in a dynamic model of growth and distribution," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(215), pages 447-475.
- Marc Lavoie, 1995.
"Interest Rates In Post-Keynesian Models Of Growth And Distribution,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 146-177, 06.
- Lavoie, M., 1993. "Interest Rates in Post-Keynesian Models of Growth and Distribution," Working Papers 9314e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Angbazo, Lazarus, 1997. "Commercial bank net interest margins, default risk, interest-rate risk, and off-balance sheet banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 55-87, January.
- Gilberto Tadeu Lima & Antonio J. A. Meirelles, 2003. "Endogenous Banking Markup, Distributional Conflict and Capacity Utilization," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2-3), pages 366-384, 05.
- Martin H. Wolfson, 1996. "A Post Keynesian Theory of Credit Rationing," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 18(3), pages 443-470, April.
- Tarsila Segalla Afanasieff & Priscilla Maria Villa Lhacer & Márcio I. Nakane, 2002. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Spread in Brazil," Working Papers Series 46, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Stephen Rousseas, 1985. "A Markup Theory of Bank Loan Rates," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 8(1), pages 135-144, October.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2004. "Endogenous Technological Innovation, Capital Accumulation And Distributional Dynamics," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 386-408, November.
- Steve Keen, 1995. "Finance and Economic Breakdown: Modeling Minsky's "Financial Instability Hypothesis"," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 17(4), pages 607-635, July.
- Foley, Duncan K., 1987. "Liquidity-profit rate cycles in a capitalist economy," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 363-376, September.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998.
"Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1900, The World Bank.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Taylor, Lance & O'Connell, Stephen A, 1985. "A Minsky Crisis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 871-85, Supp..
- Antonio J.A. Meirelles & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2006.
"Debt, financial fragility, and economic growth: a Post Keynesian macromodel,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(1), pages 93-115, October.
- Antonio J. A. Meirelles & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2004. "Debt, Financial Fragility And Economic Growth: A Post-Keynesian Macromodel," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 094, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati, 1990. "Financial Instability, Income Distribution, and the Stock Market," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 12(3), pages 356-374, April.
- Aronovich, Selmo, 1994. "Uma nota sobre os efeitos da inflação e do nível de atividade sobre o spread bancário," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 48(1), January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:en2004:074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hugo E. A. da Gama Cerqueira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.