Money, interest and capital accumulationin Karl Marx's economics: a monetary interpretation and some similaritiesto post-Keynesian approaches
Starting from Schumpeter's important distinction between 'real analysis' and 'monetary analysis', in this paper it is shown that major elements of Marx's economic theory fall in the camp of 'monetary analysis'. This is true for Marx's theory of value, his rejection of Ricardo's interpretation of Say's Law, his treatment of the realization problem in the schemes of reproduction and his theories of credit and the rate of interest. The implications of this monetary interpretation for Marx's theory of distribution and growth display broad similarities to a monetary extension of a Kaleckian version of the post-Keynesian model, in which the equilibrium growth path is determined by the interaction between monetary and real variables.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garegnani, Pierangelo, 1979.
"Notes on Consumption, Investment and Effective Demand: II,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 63-82, March.
- Garegnani, Pierangelo, 1978. "Notes on Consumption, Investment and Effective Demand: I," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 335-53, December.
- Hein, Eckhard, 2004. "Money, credit and the interest rate in Marx's economic. On the similarities of Marx's monetary analysis to Post-Keynesian economics," MPRA Paper 18608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas I. Palley, 1996. "Accommodationism versus Structuralism: Time for an Accommodation," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 18(4), pages 585-594, July.
- L. R. Wray, 1990. "Money and Credit in Capitalist Economies," Books, Edward Elgar, number 474, April.
- Claudio Sardoni, 1986. "Marx and Keynes on Effective Demand and Unemployment," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 419-441, Fall.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1999. "The Credit-Led Supply of Deposits and the Demand for Money: Kaldor's Reflux Mechanism as Previously Endorsed by Joan Robinson," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 103-13, January.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Lavoie, M, 1995.
"Horizontalism, Structuralism, Liquidity Preference and the Principle of Increasing Risk,"
9513e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1996. "Horizontalism, Structuralism, Liquidity Preference and the Principle of Increasing Risk," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(3), pages 275-300, August.
- George Argitis, 2001. "Intra-capitalist Conflicts, Monetary Policy and Income Distribution," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 453-470.
- Lavoie, M., 1993.
"Interest Rates in Post-Keynesian Models of Growth and Distribution,"
9314e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Marc Lavoie, 1995. "Interest Rates In Post-Keynesian Models Of Growth And Distribution," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 146-177, 06.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1992. "The Financial Instability Hypothesis," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_74, Levy Economics Institute.
- Eckhard Hein & Carsten Ochsen, 2003. "Regimes of Interest Rates, Income Shares, Savings and Investment: A Kaleckian Model and Empirical Estimations for some Advanced OECD Economies," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 404-433, November.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1987. "Alternative Closures Again: A Comment on 'Growth, Distribution and Inflation.'," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 75-82, March.
- Giuseppe Ciccarone, 1998. "Prices and Distribution in a Sraffian Credit Economy," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 399-413.
- Shaikh, Anwar, 1978. "Political Economy and Capitalism: Notes on Dobb's Theory of Crisis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(2), pages 233-51, June.
- Hein, Eckhard, 1999. "Interest Rates, Income Shares, and Investment in a Kaleckian Model," MPRA Paper 18607, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:13:y:2006:i:1:p:113-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.